• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditions

How many people have to clean thier dojo after they use it??

We don't have to, but (this sounds crazy), I wish we would!! We only clean it once in a while. I mean it is cleaned by a person every week or something like that, but I think the students should do it. I mean yeah, we pay for our lessons, but it is respecting the dojo!!

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I was in school we (the students) would take turns cleaning, but I wish I would have taken more time to appreciate my school. I also think it helps mentally, spiritually add to one's training. As giving a Dojo or School the respect to train, cleaning give's the students and Instructors yet another bonding that shows to new students and the community!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

We don't clean our Dojang, but I agree. It would add some pride to it.

*edit -- Uhm, LOL! After reading that, I better add, that someone cleans it, just not the students. LOL!

I think that cleaning the Dojo before use is a great thing. You get a chance to focus on the upcoming training and dump some of the cares that you must carry with you on a daily basis. As far as cleaning after... well lets's just say I'm ready to go home!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

We don't clean the dojo (well someone does but not the students) and I wouldn't be particularly happy if asked to... I have enough housework to do at home thanks! :o

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

The students at my karate club don't clean the dojo; it's usually myself or Sensei who does the cleaning up.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

How many people have to clean thier dojo after they use it??

We don't have to, but (this sounds crazy), I wish we would!! We only clean it once in a while. I mean it is cleaned by a person every week or something like that, but I think the students should do it. I mean yeah, we pay for our lessons, but it is respecting the dojo!!

you should clean it often.... especially training in bjj. rolling on the sweaty and dirty mats, you guys are setting up an environment for ringworm...

We don't clean the dojo (well someone does but not the students) and I wouldn't be particularly happy if asked to... I have enough housework to do at home thanks! :o

there's nothing wrong with it. If you can use the facility, you can clean the facility, IMO. We clean the mats and ring every day. Each day, a different person is giving the task of doing it, that way everyone gets a chance, and there's no accusation of favoritism if someone gets looked over. The owners of the school clean the bathrooms and such, but the students clean the equipment.