• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what do you typically learn at each new rank? (TKD)

I know each school is different, but I am wondering general what is learned at each new rank. I'm ITF/USTF TKD and for white belt we have to know Chun Ji pattern, some one-steps and some block/kick punch drills. Is each rank mostly just a new pattern, or are there new kicks/blocks/strikes also? I thought maybe you just build on the base ytou get in the low ranks by perfecting the things you already know. Surely the difference in white and black belt is more than just a dozen patterns. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is a sample of our Yellow belt test

Forms: Kuk Mu I, II, III (H-Forms 1-3)

One-step Techniques: 10 (3-technique) combinations against right arm attack

5 (3-tech.3.2e) Free-style sparring combination

Free-style Sparring: Experience

Basic Techniques...

Hand Techniques: Low block, upper block, outside middle block, inside middle block, straight punch, vertical punch, reverse punch, knife-hand strike, back-hand strike, back-fist strike, ridge-hand strike, elbow strike.

Leg Techniques: Front snap kick, side kick, front roundhouse kick, back kick, roundhouse kick, spin thrust kick, front thrust kick.

Stance: Attention stance, ready position, front stance, straddle leg stance, side stance, back stance.

And this is a 1st Black belt test

Forms: Kuk MuI-VI, Pyong An I-V (Advanced Form 1-5), Chul Gi I, Pal Sek, weapon form (Bo, Sai, etc...), one form of choice (Iron Claw, Yun Bee)

One-step Techniques: 15 (6-technique) combinations

10 (5-technique) Free-style sparring combinations.

Free-style Sparring: Tournament experience, three on one or four on one, advanced ability.

Basic Techniques...

Hand Techniques: Low block, upper block, outside middle block, inside middle block, knife-hand block, box block, cross block, straight punch, vertical punch, reverse punch, knife-hand strike, back-hand strike, back-fist strike, ridge-hand strike, elbow strike, palm-heel strike, spear-hand thrust, hammer-fist strike, lunge punch.

Leg Techniques: Front snap kick, side kick, front roundhouse kick, back kick, roundhouse kick, spin thrust kick, front thrust kick, spin back kick, skip-in side kick, skip-in front roundhouse kick, skip in roundhouse kick, skip in spin thrust kick, skip-in spin back kick, flying front snap kick, flying side kick, flying spin back kick, flying roundhouse kick, jumping side kick, jumping front snap kick, jumping roundhouse kick, jumping spin back kick, side take down, leg sweep.

Stance: Attention stance, ready position, front stance, straddle leg stance, side stance, back stance, cat stance, cross stance

Assistant Teaching Experience: 1 1/2 years.

At each level from Yellow to Black Forms and Techniques are added in and all have to be performed on each test.

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

your instructor does not happen to be mr. whitlow?

the vice president of ustf. yes you will learn a new patteren per belt. also new techniques as you progress. you will learn something new every class even when you think you are not. you are just starting so be patient. rome was not built in a day. if you think you know your patter try doing it backwards it is good practice. good luck and if you ever get to train with mr. whitlow be ready to sweat.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

My son and I recently tested for 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkodo. You can see a listing of our requirements and some photos at http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/test/mafit4dan.htm

All black belt rank tests are done in 4 parts. We test every two months, with final parts only being held twice a year (June and December).

It takes about 3 years to obtain black belt if you pass every color belt test and get all your class time requirements and assistant instructor time in. After you get 1st dan you have to wait 2 years before starting to test for 2nd dan. Then wait 3 years before starting your test for 3rd dan. Then 4 years before starting your 4th dan test, and another 5 years before starting 5th dan tests.

In summary (and this is the short list) at each belt test (color and black) you are required to demostrait forms, sparring combinations, hapkido combinations, 1 step sparring combinations, free style sparring, board breaking, and martial arts knowledge.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Let's see I just moved to yellow...

Chun-Ji

10 self-defense patterns/movements

Basic commands/terminology/Student oath

Basic blocks (Low, forearm and high)

Middle punch

I think that was it...nothing really too hard, I took martial arts a long time ago like when I was 10 so it wasn't totally new but long enough that it wasn't second nature. I feel like it was too easy but I was in there every night and I practiced as much as I could. I think attitude was a part of it too...they could tell I was serious about it and many people aren't in there every night. Plus as a new teacher (high school, not TKD) I try to be an active learner (I encourage my students to do the same, so I ask lots of questions and my instructors are really nice and answer everything)

So yeah, it probably was too easy but I didn't join just b/c I wanted to get to black belt asap but I hope it gets more challenging too, which I'm sure it will.

in our school, which is really unorthodox, we learn one new form for each rank, as well as new kicking, punching and hapkido/aikido techniques heres a brief synopsis

Yellow

horse stance punch

jab/reverse punch

kicks (axe, front, roundhouse, side,)

Purple

Form I (modified Keecho hyung il boo)

kicks (crecent, back)

side punch/ backfist

Orange

Form II

Sliding/ shuffle kicks

break slide side kick

Blue

Form III

charging kick

break back kick

Green

form IV

Counter (cat stance) kick

advanced punching combo

break front kick, elbow.

thats as far as ive gotten, im working on getting green belt.

some styles can have more than one form at a belt, it really depends on your club.

the lesson is the needle and you are the thread, let this image be in your mind constantly - Musashi

My son and I recently tested for 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkodo. You can see a listing of our requirements and some photos at http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/test/mafit4dan.htm

quote]

I'm just curious how old your son is and at what age he started training?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/