• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just a fun hypothetical question

Would you get rid of the belt grading system in martial arts?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get rid of the belt grading system in martial arts?

• Yes, completely!
    • No, it works fine the way it is.
    • I'd keep it, but get rid of some extra grades here and there.
    • I'd keep it, but add some grades here and there.

belts these days are mostly just tools for more money. wow look how many ive gone through, and look how many belt tests ive payed for... etc etc. if there were just a few that were far inbetween (like years worth) such as bjj's system id say its cool- but usually its just a waste of time. also, in the old days, from what i understand you werent even considered a STUDENT until you earned your black belt. these days you can usually teach with one. maybe this is why those chinese guys used to refuse to teach to us whitey americans. (and just for the record, muay thai and boxing and such styles dont have belts, and it doesnt seem to hurt them at all.)

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also, in the old days, from what i understand you werent even considered a STUDENT until you earned your black belt.

Heh, in the old days, they didn't have black belts...Jigoro Kano introduced the ranking system to judo in the late 1880s I believe. Funakoshi promoted the first black belts in the year 1927 (or around there). In Okinawan karate, they really didn't get into the belt system in full force until around the 50s or the 60s...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

just for fun... get rid of the belt colors. I've seen too many black belts that couldn't throw a side kick, a punch, do a kata... grrrrrrrrrrr... I hate when people can buy their damn belts.

I'll take knowledge over a belt color.

I don't think a belt means anything except you learned a few moves in sequence. It may boost esteem, but for fighting, I don't think it means anything.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.