• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just a fun hypothetical question

Would you get rid of the belt grading system in martial arts?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get rid of the belt grading system in martial arts?

• Yes, completely!
    • No, it works fine the way it is.
    • I'd keep it, but get rid of some extra grades here and there.
    • I'd keep it, but add some grades here and there.

Just for fun, as I have thought about the belt system quite a bit from time to time.

If you had the power, would you get rid of the belt system or would you just keep it the way it is. Or maybe, would you keep it but have less kyu (I don't know what other styles call them...but it just the colored belts) ranks? Feel free to explain any rationale you have.

As for my answer, right now, I'd probably keep it just because it helps many to have some sort of external sign of their achievement. I'd also get rid of some of the kyu ranks though. Maybe just have three kyu ranks (white, green and brown) before black. The hardcore side of me wants to get rid of it completely and just go back to teacher-student and menkyou kaiden (basically, a certificate saying you are very good), but I think the belt system has as a whole, increased the spread of martial arts.

Any other thoughts?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I like the belt system because it is a sign of achievement and also because it gives students a short to medium term goal. It's also good for the instructor to give some idea of the student's experience. Belts are a great motivational tool.

I have nothing against it as it works in our Shotokan federation. We have ranks from 9 to 1 kyu and the Dans. We get to shodan in 6-7 years. We test twice a year for low ranks and yearly for big ranks, or whenever the "chief" knows we have the tenure and techniques in order to try to advance :karate:

As Markusan said, Belt gradings are good short to medium term goals, but I students can get to focused on them instead of the art itself.

The ATA TKD school I attended allowed my sister to get her Orange belt even though she messed up her form. She missed one or 2 moves but still she obviously hadn't mastered that level yet she passed. I think schools like that make belts less meaninful. If some schools weren't leniant in their belt testings and there was more than just ability and knowledge being tested it would be more meaningful.

My friend teaches at a TKD school and there black belt test is intense. It's a weekend long and he says everybody who takes it ends up crying at some point it's basically something where you have to give it your all to pass. I would imagine it would be harder to test lower ranks in that way because they are so inexpieranced... but as you progressed to the intermediate and higher ranks I think it would be doable. At the very least they student should have a firm grasp on material they have learned to that point before they are allowed to pass.

i agree...with chibi...my school has 6

white and yellow...beginners

purple and green....intermediate

brown......advanced.....

black

i like how that works....but then i saw a ninpo budo taijutsu class....it went white, green, black....so maybe 5 or 6 belts...

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I generally like the belt system, although I'd get rid of a few grades. Maybe just have white, green, brown and black.

Good thread, Shorin Ryuu! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think the belt system hasits place in thye arts, no matter how many belts each system chooses to use. I do sort of wish there was a more uniform color system within the arts so that a blue belt means the same in all systems for example.

People naturally like to see a natural progression in all that they do generally. Part of it is to see who is better than who, but another part is to give a person goals. To be able to advance to that next "step" in the progression.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Without belts and the grading system, there would be nothing to set goals with, no way to measure accomplishment.

Although it may seem that there are too many belts, they each have specific requirments, and each shows AND recognizes that a student has accomplished something special to earn it.

I say they are fine the way they are.