• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Instructor Anxiety

I am entering a new phase of my own journey through karate. I have spent the last fifteen years of my life training in Isshin Ryu Karate. It has been my life, it has been my church, it has been family, friends, everything that a community can be to a person, it has been to me. Now I have the opportunity to start a community after (or before) I graduate college this december. There is nothing I have wanted more than to teach karate. This is my ultimate goal: buy a plot of land, build my own dojo to my specifications, build it with students, friends, family, anyone that can and wants to lend a hand, teach out of it for as long as I am able. I am to graduate college soon and there are things to consider...namely apartment and job that will allow me to build my savings and such. I don't want to hold off on my dream, but how do I go about teaching, gathering that base before I plan and execute my ultimate goal? Do I rent some little space in a studio and teach by donation? Do I teach at a local college or a YMCA? Do I do private lessons? Whats the most efficient way to get equipment? These are the questions I am asking myself. Some things are already taken care of. I am a nidan, second degree in my style and I have the blessings of my instructors from my hometown. They have helped me to get a membership in an international accrediting organization for Isshin Ryu karate (O.I.K.K.A.), so I have a direct connection to a lineage going to the grandmaster in Okinawa. I waited to test and recieve my second degree before I really began planning...I got it July 31st. What do I do? Do I start teaching now and just build as I go? Do I wait until I have a location set up then advertise? Do I dump my head in a bucket of water then get some sleep? The excitment and anxiety that I am comming to the culmination of a 10 year old dream is getting to a breaking point. Help. I need suggestions, reasurances, advice...and though it would be nice, I think answers are probably going to come in on their own sweet time. I sweat just writing about this.

Sunrunner

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe you could try and teach at a rented place and meanwhile build some money and your own place. You would waste some time just waiting for the final place to be set. And by teaching in another place for the start you are able to win some money for your own dojo and make a class, get used to the teaching stuff and move afterwards in your dojo :karate:

Teaching your first class, all on your own and in your own "space", can be a daunting adventure filled with joys, and pitfalls.

My own first class was back in September of 1978. I had just graduated from collegew and was starting my first teaching job (junior high). My class consisted at first of 12 jr/sr high school students on the stage of the gym at the K-12 school in a little farm town in the middle of nowhere.

What I would suggest to you is to find a place, such as a church, school gym/room, college space (classrooms are fine once you move the desks out olf the way), or if you have any connections with someone that owns a business and has spare room in their building and will let you teach class there for a nominal fee. These places are cheap (or free), and a good place to start from. All you need for equiptment is a foam/air kicking shield if you can't mount a heavy bag where your at, and space. The rest will come when you have a "permanent" space of your own.

Good luck! :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

See if your city has a parks and recreation department. We started there using a high school gym a couple days of the week. All we had to pay for was insurance and our equipment. The rest of the money was used to save for getting a dojo.

Teaching your first class, all on your own and in your own "space", can be a daunting adventure filled with joys, and pitfalls.

My own first class was back in September of 1978. I had just graduated from collegew and was starting my first teaching job (junior high). My class consisted at first of 12 jr/sr high school students on the stage of the gym at the K-12 school in a little farm town in the middle of nowhere.

What I would suggest to you is to find a place, such as a church, school gym/room, college space (classrooms are fine once you move the desks out olf the way), or if you have any connections with someone that owns a business and has spare room in their building and will let you teach class there for a nominal fee. These places are cheap (or free), and a good place to start from. All you need for equiptment is a foam/air kicking shield if you can't mount a heavy bag where your at, and space. The rest will come when you have a "permanent" space of your own.

Good luck! :karate:

I agree