• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yakusoku Kumite

Sho-ju

Well, what say you?

Is it a worthy tool for a karateka to spend time on?

I've use it in place of free kumite, for those who can't or don't like free kumite.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe so. It is a good drill to work timing and distance. You know what is coming, but you keep it fresh by changing the tempo constantly and the force applied. Furthermore, you can change the type of force (soft to hard, hard to soft, etc.) in order to make more variety.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I wittness a new term in the subject line of this topic. Can I please be educated?

If your fist goes forth, withhold your anger, if your anger goes forth, withhold your fist.

Yakusoku kumite refers to pre-arranged sparring (yakusoku literally means promise). It can be sort of seen as a two-person kata (form). I.e., first person steps in and punches, the second person steps back and blocks. Then the second person punches forward, the first person sidesteps and kicks, etc. As I mentioned in the post above, I believe it can be a great asset to help timing and distance (I won't repeat the reasons).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I think that it can be a useful thing to train in, especially if the 'tempo' and 'pace' of the training is varied. It sure can sharpen up a persons timing!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The dojo I train at uses these drills at brown belt level. From what I see they are usefull drills for the reasons people have mentioned above.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

IMO, this type of sparring drill is esential for all MA. We do our one step drills @ full speed and power. This lets you know if your blocking really works.

We start out with the attack being announced then with the upper ranks we don't know what attack is coming. Another way to get a good feel is to keep rotating partners of all different ages and sizes. (be careful with your partner if its a mismatch :brow: )

Yet another variation "The circle of pain".....

Victim in middle surrounded by 4-6 people who take turns attacking randomly anounced then moving on to unnannounced. (I like this one !!! :brow: :brow: :brow: )

Then do all of these drills left handed as well...... :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

The dojo I train at uses these drills at brown belt level. From what I see they are usefull drills for the reasons people have mentioned above.

I see Taba Sensei listed on the site in your sig, are you guys Shogen ryu? The sensei that over sees my dojo is a fourth dan in Shogen ryu Canada, Taba Sensei was just at his dojo last month!

I don't let students free spar without first engaging in pre-arranged sparring. I think proper distance and timing, as well as proper technique needs to be learned before a student is turned loose, so to speak, to free spar.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.