• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should full-contact Karate be an oylmpic sport?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a full-contact type of fight would be the ticket, becasue I feel that it would be a better repersentation of a real fight, not just trying to score a point. I really don't see very much movement in tkd and there hands are at there sides. Would have to say if the gold medalist in any weight class in tkd would go to a full-contact tourny, he would probably be his clock cleaned.

...Osu...

I think that a full-contact type of fight would be the ticket, becasue I feel that it would be a better repersentation of a real fight, not just trying to score a point. I really don't see very much movement in tkd and there hands are at there sides. Would have to say if the gold medalist in any weight class in tkd would go to a full-contact tourny, he would probably be his clock cleaned.

People interested in the Olympics don't want to see "a real fight". They want to see sports contests, decided by sportsmanship. Boxing is probably as full contact as it'll ever get.

Are you saying that an Olympic TKD fighter doesn't know how to fight full contact just because they participate in the Olympics? That's a pretty bold generalization. What's it based on?

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Would have to say if the gold medalist in any weight class in tkd would go to a full-contact tourny, he would probably be his clock cleaned.

Are you saying that an Olympic TKD fighter doesn't know how to fight full contact just because they participate in the Olympics? That's a pretty bold generalization. What's it based on?

That was my thought?

even though this topic is about full contact karate i believe that there should be mixed martial arts, Pride style fighting, in the olympic games.

"Practice is the mother of all skill!"

- Mr. Barnum

To become an olympic sport the host contry must first make it a demonstration sport at its games. This happened for TKD at the 1988 games in South Korea. The new sport is only considered for addition at this time. I beleive it also must be suffeciently different from existing sports to become a full medal sport. This might help explain why olympic TKD does not allow hands to the face (that's boxing) or grappling (like in judo).

I also seem to remember a buzz about needing to tone it down a bit because the public really doesn't want to see too much brutality. The olympics really are geared for a mom, pop, and the kids kind of audience.

So, having said all that, my answer is no. I dont think karate should be an olympic sport nor do I see it becomming one. Japan already has one MA in the mix with Judo, TKD has suffered a real or imagined backlash because of it's addition, and the field seems full as is now. I could see Wushu being added for it's artistic nature but full contact arts would have a hard time making it in with the olympics mindset and restrictions.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Just because Chef Boy-ar-dee makes lousy ravioli, does that mean you can't get good ravioli anywhere?

True, my only concern would be for the people who have never tried good ravioli. They might try Chef Boy-ar-dee and think it is the best, because it is conveinent, easy to prepare and easy to buy.

Get where I'm going with this?

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

If karate can become an olympic sport while maintaining most of its essence then I am all for it. If not, then it is better not to go there.

To maintain its essence I would impose kyokushinkai type of competition rules or something similar, also allowing all styles to participate including TKD. Who knows, maybe such an event can incorporate all oriental striking arts as long as the set combat rules are followed. Imagine, various styles of karate, kungfu and the korean arts meeting in the olympics under rules that do not water down their essence. It is my understanding that kyokushinkai karate hold such "open" tournaments.

Maybe I am getting carried away? Maybe, but I think it would be an interesting concept. Any thoughts anyone?

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

True, my only concern would be for the people who have never tried good ravioli. They might try Chef Boy-ar-dee and think it is the best, because it is conveinent, easy to prepare and easy to buy.

Get where I'm going with this?

I don't think Chef Boy-ar-dee quality martial arts is unique to TKD.

Do you think the fine steakhouse Karate Dojo's are worried about all the McDojo's serving up the greasy spoon Karate? Not in the least, because while some may be satisfied with fast food, there is still overwhelming demand for the finer cuisines.

Saying that TKD on the whole is no longer appetizing because of it's presence in the Olympics, is like saying Ruth's Chris Steakhouse no longer knows how to please your palate simply because they decided to enter the world chilli cookoff olympics.

:)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean