• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should full-contact Karate be an oylmpic sport?

Becasue the olympics are going on, I want to ask a question; should full-contact karate be an oylmpic sport. Should it be in the knockdown format or should it use a point system similar to TKD. I think that it should be a semi-knockdown event with cloth shin and instep pads and cloth hand pads and dipped-foam headgear and mouthgaurds as the protection.

What say you?

...Osu...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see a more (in-depth) martial arts in the olympics. External and Internal competitions.

Empty hand forms, weapons, chi demonstrations. I think sparring should be done on some kind of a point system, but also a UFC type reality. I like to be able to see a technique applied well enough that those knowledgable would have no doubt disputing it's presence and to prevent the sight of an out-right brawl. A three-bout smoker is one thing, watching two martial artist use tried and true learned skills from thier respective style against one another for let's say 20 minutes is another. I would also enjoy seeing the different styles color's, rituals, and uniforms. My vote is a big yes!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

since we only get to see a certain aspect of a martial art in the olympics i think that sometimes it gives itself a bad name or look. if you can not show all of it then do not show any of it. example tkd is more than just kicks and judo is more than just throws. all or nothing is what is think.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

I think if Karate goes to the Olympics, it should be American full contact. If it is point sparring, Karate might go the way of TKD, and that would suck.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I really like the idea of kata competitions as well. So many of the olympic sports are judged based on form (diving, gymnastics, synchro swimming, etc) that it would be cool to see some martial art forms displayed, as well as the combative aspects.

I guess it's like any other sport that isn't an olympic sport; somewhere there is a big group of people saying "Hey, why isn't OUR sport an Olympic sport?!" Obviously you wouldn't be able to have every single martial art, but I could understand having the most popular ones.

So that begs another question; are TKD and Judo considered the most popular (world-wide) martial arts? I would have thought that Kung-fu or karate would make that list.

One does have to wonder how ballroom dancing, air-rifle shooting and ping-pong are olympic sports and karate is not.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

As much as having other aspects (kata, sparring, etc) of the martial arts in the Olympics sounds appealing to me, I think it would be a bad idea.

After judo was introduced into the Olympics, it became more of a sport than a martial art and is now almost exclusively taught worldwide as a sport. After TKD was introduced, many branches of it are now becoming more of a sport, or at least, appears to be heading in that direction also.

Kata competition, both hard and soft forms and perhaps kobudo (weapons) kata might be OK. However, I would expect it to become incredibly flashy (including splits, flips, etc.) and essentially, not a true representation of what real karate kata is all about in the end. You'd end up with a gymnastics floor routine performed in colorful "gi's" in very short order I'm afraid.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

As much as having other aspects (kata, sparring, etc) of the martial arts in the Olympics sounds appealing to me, I think it would be a bad idea.

After judo was introduced into the Olympics, it became more of a sport than a martial art and is now almost exclusively taught worldwide as a sport. After TKD was introduced, many branches of it are now becoming more of a sport, or at least, appears to be heading in that direction also.

Kata competition, both hard and soft forms and perhaps kobudo (weapons) kata might be OK. However, I would expect it to become incredibly flashy (including splits, flips, etc.) and essentially, not a true representation of what real karate kata is all about in the end. You'd end up with a gymnastics floor routine performed in colorful "gi's" in very short order I'm afraid.

agreed

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

I think if Karate goes to the Olympics, it should be American full contact. If it is point sparring, Karate might go the way of TKD, and that would suck.

Eh? How would becoming the most popular martial art in the world suck? :P

Whatever TKD's quality control problems are, I don't see how that is a reflection on TKD as a martial art. Just because Chef Boy-ar-dee makes lousy ravioli, does that mean you can't get good ravioli anywhere?

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean