• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just Starting

From my exp. in larger cities it is so students don't jump from school to school. Just make sure you understand all the aspects of it before signing.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget to stick around and tell us how you like it!

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

grrrrr. Class is expensive, one year contract, no make up classes, so if I'm sick or I go on vacation, I have to eat it. I'm still interested, but financially I have to work some things out. 110 a month, plus paying for the uniform and reg fees for starting. OUCH!!! Uniform and reg fees are one time cost New baby makes it difficult. I'm 30 now and this is something I've always wanted to do. I'll work it out. In the meantime, I'm going to keep searching for good schools, maybe I can find one cheaper or someone who doesn't do it fulltime. I did not expect MA to be this expensive or difficult to find talented willing instructors. I've found a lot of what other people are talking about in these forums. Belt Factories and McDojos. I'm not seeking to learn MA just to earn a black belt. There is sooo much more to it than the color around your waist keeping your pants up. Frustrated.

I hear ya, I just paid my registration fee yesterday. :o But, it also includes my first month, so it's not so bad.

Good luck with your two new "past times!" (Martial arts and baby. :D)

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

110/mo and a 1 yr contract- I'd say don't even go back there. A few years ago, there was a Kenpo school in Spokane that charged about 50/mo and sold 1 yr contracts, but I believe they had the option of shorter contracts for a little more money. The Kenpo community in the entire 3 state region would have nothing to do with this guy. People like that give the martial arts a bad name, and true martial artists don't like it, or them.

Freedom isn't free!

I must be lucky.

I have 4 enrolled in my family. I pay $200/mo for all of us, and there was a $25/ea initial fee, but that covered the Gi also. And we didnt have to sign a contract.

Now, we have other expenses that are soley ours, tournaments, belt exams, and gear for sparring, but all in all, not a bad investment. And we can go up to 4 (5 starting September) times a week.

Plus, every Saturday we have Chili Cook, or BBQ, or something like that. Food is always a bonus. :lol:

When I first started Tang Soo Doo when I was like 7 or 8, somewhere around then.. My parents paid 1200 bucks for a year (i thinks its like 100 a month), and depending on how well I was determinded what belt I was. I went from a white to a black in a year (then I thought it was cool, now I hate it) because I was a 'quick learner' and joined 3 different clubs (free). I could only go certain days of the week, and I had to pay for tournies..

After that I found 3 different private instructors I trained with up until the past few years, now I train myself (more so brushing up on skills) but 2 of the private instructors were free the other I paid 30 a month to (if i had it) and he would teach me whenever we both had free time. Sometimes M-F from like 6-9 an S-S 8am-8pm doing various things.

Just look around to see what you can find. Theres bound to be something decent around you.

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

The school I am looking at charges $100.00 per month or the one year option, but I am happy with the background of not only the school but the Instructors. From what I've seen through photo's of the school itself I am excited. The school has plenty of floor space, equipment, and time 9a.m. to 9p.m. M-F, 9 a.m to 12 p.m. on Saturdays. I can understand your frustration, but you'll be OK, keep looking. Do as much research as you can while you search and no one can stop you from training (it's free!). You can excersize, work on your cardio, and if you have ever seen a square-horse stance try 3 to 5 minutes with the top of your thighs parallel to the floor.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Yea, many schools these days do have contracts...but, i've come to find that they also have pay by month programs which cost more. Now im my situation, I took up the year contract, my car broke down after 7 months...and i was stuck. Kinda iffy on what to decide next. :-?

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"