• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just Starting

I'm just starting out with MA. I've done a lot of research on different styles, and I've found JuJitsu fits me the best. My question. Is it standard these days to sign a contract for training. I know it's a good business practice for any dojo to use a contract, but signing a contract is serious business. Is this standard practice for most dojos

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard of places doing it before. its cool so long as its not some kind of year long thing or something ridiculous like that. cancellation fees, all that stuff gyms use to take your money....

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I've only signed a contract once, and that was when I was first starting years back. Looking back, it was a crap McDojo (term we use for places looking to improve the size of their wallets, not your ability to defend yourself).

Since then, I've had instructors that taught for free and instructors that have simply charged monthly dues. These instructors were what I would call legit, though.

That being said, what does this contract entail? If it is merely some safety thing, then I wouldn't worry (although I've never been forced to sign one other than my first dojo, and you can guess what my impressions of that one are...). If it is a contract saying that you will come for 6 months and pay X amount of money upfront, non-refundable, then you may want to consider something else.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Is it standard these days to sign a contract for training.

I don't like contracts. They are one of the main tools of the McDojo. A competent instructor will be able to keep students without having them sign contracts. But that's just my opinion. Best thing I can tell you is to be dang careful and make sure this is what you want. Look around and see what is common in your area. Also, see what else is available. Are there any other JiuJitsu schools around? How do they do it?

Freedom isn't free!

the only dojos I seen with contract are usally Mcdojo or belt factory.If so sign this contract and pay X amount up front and in X amount of time you will be a BlackBelt.But this is just my deals with dojos with contracts

Unfortunately contracts are becoming a part of many martial arts schools. My advice to you is to make sure that you are comfortable with the instructor and the school first. Then make sure there are provisions in the clause for you to get out of it if you should move or have some serious (i.e. medical) reason to stop training. If both of those conditions are met then you should be O.K.. Just remember, if you train at the school for a month or two and don't feel ready to sign a contract, you probably never will. One last thing a black belt should NEVER be promised in a contract. I am currently in a contract with a school for training to black belt, but the instructor plainly stated that I will be trained until I get my black belt, regardless of test failure or my decision not to test in a cycle, or even if I am denied permission to test. BTW I have already skipped a test cycle when my instructor thought I was ready (I just didn't want to test.) he was fine with it. My instructor has on occasion, failed students, and on several occasions not let students test because they weren't ready. Just follow your common sense and listen to that voice inside that says "something just isn't right" it won't steer you wrong.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I am part of an organisation that does not use contracts but none of our instructors are full time or rely on it as our sole means of income. I can understand how an instructor who relies on his teaching to make a living would prefer to have people on contracts. He or she still have to pay their rent and power whether you decide to have a month off or not. I think it's becoming more a fact of life and I don't think it automatically brands the school as a McDojo. It also gives you another reason to be consistent in your training. I know some nights I need all the incentives I can muster to venture out into the cold fo a hard night's training. All that said, a contract is a two way street and should not just be in favor of the school. It should give you guarantees too, for example if you are not genuinely happy with the standard of instruction you should be released from the contract. As with gyms, the schools which do require contracts should offer high standard facilities and equipment. As Cloud Dragon said, make sure you like and respect the instructor. I think a common thread to many of the discussions on this site is that the most important aspect of learning any martial art is the quality of the teacher.

Firstly welcome to Karate Forums! I contacted the school I'll be joining and a contract was one of my questions. I first learned of contracts here at KF (thanks gang) and all that they involve. The school I spoke with has annual contracts but only for the porpose of a payment option not a agreement of both parties obligations. As you've read so far, be very comfortable in your understanding before you sign any dotted lines. I hope you have many years of happieness with JuJitsu, it a great art!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Thank you all very much for your input. I am comfortable with the instructor, and he is the only JuJitsu place around here. I'll make sure I am very comfortable with the contract before I sign it. I don't blame the dojo for useing the contract. I know for a fact, he does this for a living. The contract is just smart business. I'm looking forward to starting my training. I hope all works out. I believe in the Sensei and I am extrememly motivate to start. I did my research and I found that places are selling black belts, being 30, I know that the belt will just help you keep your pants up if you buy it. (You'll still get your butt kicked) Sensei ensured me that he will not sell me my belt. Thank god for that. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.