• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been a kata judge and kumite referee for somewhere around 25 years now, but have only competed in one tournament myself. I won 2nd in kata, 3rd in sparring, Outstanding Tournament Judge and the Outstanding Competitor Awards..which I thought was a pretty good haul for my first competitive tournament! :lol: I "retired" from competition at that point.

Anyway, since it was my first tournament as a competitor, I was pretty nervous to be fighting and competing against black belts from all over the country for the first time. Most of these black belts I had judged myself,which I think was an advantage because I knew how they fought pretty much. There were, of course, several black belts from out of state I had never seen before.

My first kumite match was against a 3rd Dan in TKD that I had never seen before. He was about 6" shorter than me (I'm 6'6") and told me afterwards that he competed in about a dozen tournaments/year. We were pretty evenly matched, but I could tell eh wanted to do a head kick on me really badly, so after a point, we lined up to get ready for the next point attempt, and I got into a much lower stance than I normally used. The ref said HAJIME' and we stepped towards each other. My opponent telegraphed a really pretty side kick to my head, but I dropped to the ground under it and threw a side kick of my own at the same time to the groin, landing perfectly! Yes, the groin is a target in an open tournament around these parts. This totally flustered my opponent because he wasn't used to someone doing that, and I won the rest of my points pretty easily and won the match.

I'll never forget the look on that guys face when I did that to him. He was really nice about it and wanted me to teach him the technique afterwards, which I did.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My most memerable moment came in the last submission wrestling tourny I was in.I had this bjj guy trying to put my in an arm bar,I stood up with this guy hanging off my arm,I turn to the ref and ask if I can slam this guy.After the ref tells me I can as long as I don't spike him and say ok and I then slam him.After the match my wife asked me what I was talking to the ref about.LOL

When I won the 2003 USTU National Championships in my sparring division. I had been training and competing for about 6 years and never thought when I first started out I would accomplish that.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Hm. My most memorable moment for a tourney. Was my very first tournement. It was a small inter-dojo tourney. I was an orange belt, and I was sparring a blue belt. And we both did a jump kick, at the exact same time. (This is where all serious-ness in the match just died.) We clashed legs and we both fell down, and 2 of my teachers were there and they were watching, since it was a small tourney only 2 matches were going on at the same time, and they both started laughing, and then me and the girl I was fighting started laughing....yea...it was pretty bad. :lol:

Most Embarassing MA Moment Thread

See my post about most embarassing MA moment, for a description of my goof-up in a tournament... :blush:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

well i got kicked out of the ring,over a chair, and into another competitor in the ring behind me. that got a lot of people's attention and mine too. in case you are wondering he did not get the point. my payback was a jump spin hook kick to the head.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...