• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey I was wondering if you all could give me a little advice on improving my left jab? I cant seem to get the power into it. I do JKD, and primarily your dominate hand is always leading, and your dominate hand is your jab and you use your other for your cross. But when I am boxing, my left would be up front. My right hand is my strongest jab and cross, but my right crosses are stronger than my jabs, so i would like to know how to improve my left jab, in a boxer's point of view. thanks.

"Give me back my sandals or i'm keeping your nephew's hamster..."- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jabs are kind of a funny thing - some people have a stiff jab, others don't. I am heavy handed and have a hard jab. The good news it that it really doesn't have to be hard - the jab is mainly a probing tool - you use it to feel your opponent out, set distance, set up other strikes, etc. rely on your power shots to do the knocking out.

there are three types of jabs really... and they can all be good, or bad depending on who you are fighting.

It is very good to be proficient in using adn countering all three.

Lenox Lewis had a great Jab, its about the only thing i liked about him.

there are snapping jabs, quick jabs, that strike and follow back quickly along the path they came in on.

there are power jabs that hit and go through the target.

and there are falling jabs, that strike and fall down(this is usually done by untrained people)

I personally have knocked people out with my jab, so anyone telling you a jab is not that powerful is not thinking things out.

Its funny you mention JKD, and the jab specifically... I happen to go off hte premise of my powerhand being the rear hand, but with JKD they have the powerhand up front and the weaker hand in back so it can pick up speed and be stronger when used as a reverve punch..

Both have credence, as a matter of fact when i am fighting in a point sparring tournament, or a continuous sparring tournament i completely switch my stance and fight the JKD way.... even though i never took JKD training.

When I am fighting Boxing(ewww) Kickboxing, or NHB i fight with my powerhand in back.... or basically a standard stance...

/shrug dont know if i confused or helped you

jabs arent AS powerful as other punches, but they can still hurt, most definitely. id suggest working your jab a lot on the heavy bag- circle it jabbing, throw a few before your combos... just throw them on their own. also, make sure your footwork is dead on, even when jabbing they need to snap into their position so that you have your entire body behind it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 4 weeks later...

Things to help with your jabs:

* (boxing) pivot on the ball of your forward foot, swinging the heel around. The endpoint should have your foot facing sideways towards your opponent. Of course, when retracting, bring your heel back. This action should be snappy and relaxed. What it does for you is increase your penetration, assist your hips in providing power (by allowing the hips to rotate), and helps to create a quick retraction, providing a snap to your jabs.

* one thing i do, is use my latissimus dorsi as a bounce point for my biceps/triceps. This gives a little bit of a kick-off point for my jab, and reminds me to protect my ribs.

* definitely use your hips and torso on every jab. Be relaxed, and have the hips/torso lead the jab (this is actually a contention point, addressed next).

* the concern is always telegraphing. You don't want to let your opponent know when you are about to strike, so it is essential you don't let him know. Research has shown that if you lead with your shoulders and hips, it is approximately 75% likely that the opponent will read the impending strike, while only 25% likely if you lead with the strike first, and then throw in your shoulders and hips (inclusive of the foot rotation). The problem is power loss. By leading with your strike, you lose much of the power in your strikes. So, a balance is needed. You need to gauge your opponent and determine his degree of sensitivity. I.e., his ability to read your actions. You do this by starting out your first round with 'snappy' jabs (watch boxing matches, and you'll see that the first round is loaded with 'snappy,' but relatively weak, strikes. This is the "reading round," as some call it). Slowly, you start increasing the lead factors. I.e., putting more of your hip/torso/foot rotation into the jabs, increasing their lead, until you've reached a point where the opponent can 'see' those jabs coming. You then edge back a bit, and that's your sweet spot for that opponent.

Hope this helps.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

When doing power jabs:

Your shoulder needs to be coming up to the side of your chin so u are looking straight over your knuckles and your arm needs to stay a LITTLE bit bent.

Also when you throw an offensive jab u need to step forward with the front leg, the foot shoot hit the ground as your hand hits the target.

If throwing a defensive jab then do the opposite, using your back foot, but remember not to drag you lead leg.

Flicking jabs are less technical, just flick it out there and make it fast, but still step a little and bring ur shoulder up...

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BRING YOUR HAND BACK TO GUARD POSITION OR U WILL GET HIT.

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

• 2 weeks later...

Get with your instructor on this. Understand the technique, work it slow and get it down and then MITT WORK. A heavy bag is great if thats all you have but having someone who knows how to properly hold mitts for you is just an awsome way to improve. mitt work mitt work mitt work!!!!!

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Its funny you mention JKD, and the jab specifically... I happen to go off hte premise of my powerhand being the rear hand, but with JKD they have the powerhand up front and the weaker hand in back so it can pick up speed and be stronger when used as a reverve punch..

-Actually, in the original outlines of JKD, Lee says it is a good idea to mix up stances to confuse the opponent and keep yourself mobile. IE switching between strong lead and off hand lead position.

I'm not going to give any pointers on the dynamics of a strike, for I'm sure as one who studies Lee's way and has an instructor in it, you already have them down pat. Becoming more ambidexteritous in your striking is just a matter of practice.

As a side note, the jab(along with the cross) has the potential to be the most devastating strike. It is a straight line to your target (and through your target!). A straight line is always the quickest route, and speed as you know is the main factor in power.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.