• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Regarding belt ranks

ok, but i did say my TKD club.

Just be prepared for a lot of quizical and "ticked off" looks from other Korean stylists if you go to open tournaments...

It's like the equivalent of using a Japanese "Renshi" belt (Red and White Checkerboard) for a kyu level in a Japanese/Okinawan style...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, but i did say my TKD club.

Just be prepared for a lot of quizical and "ticked off" looks from other Korean stylists if you go to open tournaments...

It's like the equivalent of using a Japanese "Renshi" belt (Red and White Checkerboard) for a kyu level in a Japanese/Okinawan style...

Well sorry about it looking like another belt but I personally can't do anything about it. :P

- Hogosha

Back in the day, there were none of these crazy colored belts for color belt levels... There was only White, Green, and Red or Brown. Yellow and Orange were added later, after the late 60s.

For Black Belts, there was the Black or Midnight Blue belt and the Masters' belt... Fancy belts were reserved for Masters' level.

A lot of this belt proliferation is all about giving the consumer some fabric to justify the testing fees...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

I agree. Belts are part of marketing technique. A symbol for advancement that has been highly abused. I absolutely love how they come up with all the philospohy behind each belt (ie red = blood/passion, green with red = christmas in july, blue with purple stripe = water with Barney the Dino)

we have white yellow green blue red black.... nice and simple... has some philosophy behind it but oh well.

I think the higher number ofbelts coming around recently in Dojangs isnt necessarily a bad thing (unless taken too far), it gives people targets to aim for in the short term rather than it will take you a year for your next belt when youve just started, most new students wouldnt really understand what they were aiming for (standard wise).

we have white yellow green blue red black.... nice and simple... has some philosophy behind it but oh well.

Same as ours but we have a stripe after each belt.

- Hogosha

The belt colors were originally to represent the seasons,...

White = Winter, with all the potential under the snow

Green = Spring, with blossoming potential

Red (or Brown) = Summer, with growing heat/intensity

Black (or Midnight Blue) = Fall, cool with maturity like the maturity of the year...

Masters' belts had a red stripe (borrowed from the Japanese systems) because after a period of time the black (or Midnight Blue) fabric that had been wrapped around the belt would start to wear through. As people got more money, they represented this by putting a red stripe on one side of the belt (even though belts wear from the edges in... ).

Any other colors in the system are for reasons of marketing, rather than grading, as there are 10 gups (kyu in Japanese) on the color belt end of grading, plus Cho Dan Bo (probationary period for 1st Dan) in many systems.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

I agree. Belts are part of marketing technique. A symbol for advancement that has been highly abused. I absolutely love how they come up with all the philospohy behind each belt (ie red = blood/passion, green with red = christmas in july, blue with purple stripe = water with Barney the Dino)

ROFL!

Marketing and attention span has a lot to do with it. People don't want to do something for 6 months or a year and still tell people "Well, I'm a white belt." They want to see more immediate progress, thus the proliferation of different colors.

ATA uses the black stripe through the middle of a belt to denote Black belt club members, gold stripes to indicate Master club members. For Tiny Tigers (The little ones, 4-6 y/o) we use solid belts and promote half belt ranks, and use a belt that has half the old color and half the new color.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player