• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Regarding belt ranks

I am new in TKD and I was looking for information on the internet and something that I noticed was the belts are not consistent.

For example, my Dojang has white, gold, orange, green, blue, brown, and black. Yet I have heard red, and what is "poom"? havent heard that before. Also, the minimum requirements for each seems to be inconsistent. Can someone explain how I can tell if I am being properly trained? Our school teaches American Chung Do Kwon -TKD

I am really confused about it. Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy Torris, I beleive you might do the same type of tkd as me...that is if its Jhoon Rhee related. As to the belt colors and requirements per belt those really are based on individual schools. The best advice is to look up your forms on the internet and also ask your instructor about them. That will tell you if they are bonafide or not. But even if you can't find them they can still be good forms. The order of belts and their colors is pretty meaningless. Poom is like the korean word for a belt. Without knowing more about your school it's kinda hard to tell if its good tkd or not. More likely though is that they are good techniques.

Long Live the Fighters!

Hello Torris,

If you are American Chung Do Kwan from Jhoon Rhee and in Dallas, then you are probably somehow a part of Allen Steen or Pat Burleson's lineage.

If so, then your emphasis will probably be sparring/fighting, one-steps, self-defense etc. Also, you should be learning the Chung Hon (Blue Cottage) forms, such as Won Hyo, Ton San, Dan Gun, etc. You would learn one, maybe two forms sometimes per belt level.

If this is your lineage, the past instructors have a good reputation of training hard. Not many requirements, but they will make sure you are a strong fighter and good at what you learn.

R. McLain

Some schools differ slightly. The net will give a variety of belt orders and meanings. Your school should have them listed somewhere if you ask.

Our color scheme runs, white, orange, yellow, green, advanced green, purple, blue, brown, red, recomended black with a red belt with black stripe and then decided 1st dan black. After that you can go up to 9th dan black if you are very persistant and dedicated.

I'm at red belt and have enjoyed the ride so far. The biggest thing to remember is not to rush through your color belts. Enjoy the ride up to black and don't forget that black is only the beginning. The color belts only teach you the basic techniques. The black belts teach you how to use these techniques.

Chaz

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

• 4 weeks later...

when you get your bb before you are 16 then that is called a poom but if you are 16 and older it is 1st Dan

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe

Interesting

I dont study tkd but I just stoped in to see what I could learn today.

Dont worry about the belt colors, worry about the knowledge within thos colors

GOOD LUCK

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I'm going to open a new school with the follwoing belt system:

No Belt

Egg Shell White

Snow White

Pink

Yellow

Orange

Light Green

Dark Green

Barny the Dino Purple

Deep Purple

Sky Blue

Light Blue

Royal Blue

Midnight Blue

Candy Apple Red

Dark Red

Tan

Light Brown

Medium Brown

Dark Brown

Desert Camouflage

Woodland Camouflage

Black

Then I might add stripes and lines and checkers. I can charge $50.00 a test and make the students buy their new belts and gis from me as well.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.