• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What every serious Martial Artist should never wear

Red J

I have been following a few threads on wearing gis in and out of the dojo. It got me thinking about making a list about what are some of the things that serious martial artists should never wear. I thought this could be a tongue and cheek kind of topic, but it is legit as I'm sure that some of your examples are based on real experiences.

So the first item that a serious MA should never wear is:

A replica Karate Kid Headband!

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a respectable MA shouldn't wear shorts (those that look like boxers or like the shorts little kids wear ... cotton ... like pijamas). I've trained with a guy who wore such "wonders". Needless to say I could study male reproductive aparatus just by looking at him. Oh .. and when he kicked high :blush:

Lost my respect for the guy ..

And another thing that bothers me as I'm onoxious and extreme :) Girls who come in lycra pants and blouse as if they were gooing to gymnastics. It's karate for God's sake :x Imagine the giggles :D

INeedless to say I could study male reproductive aparatus just by looking at him. Oh .. and when he kicked high :blush:

Lost my respect for the guy ..

Oh my! :blush:

OK, here's another don't:

Camouflage! Especially ripped up into little strips and tied around the biceps, while performing moves to the song "He's a maniac, maniac..." :lol:

Baseball caps with "Karate" or "Taekwondo" printed on them, I guess it would be ok for kids, but for adults its just begging for someone to mess with you.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I've been a guest instructor at a local gym to teach some MA techniques to the cardio-kickboxing class. The women wear lose fitting shorts and tops. By the end of the class I knew what color undies everyone wore.

On a serious note... I have been asked to teach a self defense class at my office. I'll have a room full of women who work for the company and wives of the men who work there. How do I tactfully suggest they wear the proper attire? I really don't want to know what color panties my boss's wife wears!

:-?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I've been a guest instructor at a local gym to teach some MA techniques to the cardio-kickboxing class. The women wear lose fitting shorts and tops. By the end of the class I knew what color undies everyone wore.

On a serious note... I have been asked to teach a self defense class at my office. I'll have a room full of women who work for the company and wives of the men who work there. How do I tactfully suggest they wear the proper attire? I really don't want to know what color panties my boss's wife wears!

:-?

Threatening them with wedgies probably wouldn't be the smartest thing.

Skinnier martial artists should not wear the oversized "wife beater" tank tops, because that's exactly what you'll look like. I knew a guy who insisted on wearing those beneath the gi top, and after class he'd take off the top and display the tank top (with a certain amount of pride, might I add). Now, I'm not the kind of person who is so shallow as to really, truly care what people are wearing, but in this case, I make an exception. He'd get all sweaty in a bad way, and try to put his arm around me, and I would run away. Other people's sweat just grosses me out, with very few exceptions.

Oh, and unless you actually do Kung Fu, don't come to my dojo claiming to be a self-taught Karate master while wearing a silk Kung Fu uniform (no sash, mind you). Especially not after you attended one of our demonstrations and commented that you "weren't impressed with the quality of this dojo's blackbelts". Just don't do it. You're asking for a beating. Yes, it actually happened.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I really don't want to know what color panties my boss's wife wears!

You're assuming that she wears them! :lol:

Kicks, just tell them what is appropriate or just suffer while you wrestle with scantily clad women. :lol:

OK, another serious violation would be wearing ninja boots to the mall (unless you wanted to "sneak up on the good deals"). :lol:

Kicks, just tell them what is appropriate or just suffer while you wrestle with scantily clad women.

Geez, the sacrifices some people have to make in the name of their art. :P

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes