• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think about board breaking?

How do you feel about board breaking?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about board breaking?

• It's an important part of training. We have to keep the loggers employed!
    • Save a tree (starve a logger). It's a total waste of time.
    • I'm not sure. It might be good, or maybe not?
    • Other (Please explain)

breaking boards is kinda corny. i don't think it is a viable guage for testing a persons power. a black belt who can break a board with a side kick doesnt necessarily mean that his side kick is extremely powerful or anything....nor do i think that board breaking can help you with your power - mike tyson never broke boards in his training and we all know that being hit by him would feel like being hit by a mack truck.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....pah.

you japanese style wimps.

us chinese style guys break rocks!

big fat rocks,

with our balls,

whilst standing on a bed of nails,

on a board floating in a pool of water,

whilst being forced to listen to spice girls

and watching bey-blade...

Not withstanding the amount of offense I take to being called a "Japanese style" :D , most of that I could handle..but while listening to the Spice Grils? Man, that's pure TORTURE!!! :o

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

okokok, okinawan style guys.....

sheesh, so touchy.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

you have a sense of humor? I missed it i guess :P hehe

Why do I suddenly feel so much like a nose? Everybody's pickin' on me! :D

my point was that you are throwing a backhanded riddicule of anyone choosing the break boards option.

I'm not trying to ridicule anybody for what they chose to do, but rather to state my viewpoint that I feel breaking isn't useful, nor that difficult. Oh sure, start getting into multiple bricks..yeah, that's a different story. I'm talking about 1-2 boards. Not that tough. I've seen young kids that can do that. What does it prove?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My school doesn't break boards till red and black belt level tests. But we do have kindling .... I mean, breaking week once a year. It is a good time, and I do have a woodstove, which means we get all the broken boards :D Free kindling :)

I can see how it can help with focus, but not power. Most people in my school break with speed and proper technique, not power. At least, that's how I do it.

I saw a young red belt (skinny little guy) break two boards with a side kick. He has really good technique, but he didn't use power. But I also saw an adult try the same thing, and he bounced off of the boards. So I personally think it's technique, not power.

Laurie F

if you're supposed to see how good your technique is, why don't you substitute the boards/bricks for your sensei? he/she can judge how well you kick or punch and if you utterly sucked he can just kick you back

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

he/she can judge how well you kick or punch and if you utterly sucked he can just kick you back

Oh, you try it first and we'll all come visit you in hospital... :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I believe they were 12"x12"x1"..that's pretty standard isn't it?

I don't know if there's a standard :D , but try shortening the boards a couple inches each side to 10"x10"x1". That's more the size of the boards we break.

Then, you can stack multiple boards together, and if that's still too easy, don't put a spacer in between the boards.

There's all kinds of ways to make board breaking tougher. :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean