• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would you change about your style?

Everyone has something that they don't care for as much as other things in their style. What would you remove or change about your style? It could be anything you want, from a way a technique is done, to the color of the school patch, just say what it is and why.

I would personally remove board breaking from my style. Two examples why it isn't difficult and doesn't really show much about the students ability.

#1. At a testing I saw a woman give her boardholders a little push on the board to make sure they were set, and the board broke! Boards are inconsistent in force required to break them.

#2. A few weeks ago I watched as a man in his 50's, (average height & weight and in good shape) whom had never taken any MA training in his life (Trust me, he wasn't lying) after 3 weeks in the school the instructor took 2 full size boards, walked up to him and said "break these with a front kick" the guy did a front kick from a natural stance and smashed them!

So there you have it, now, what would YOU change about your style?

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would change the fact that all of the students are required to know BJJ for Shotokan karate. How weird is that? Does it make any sense? :-? Don't get me wrong I like BJJ more then Shotokan, but others despise it. That is pretty much it.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

Been there, I had to learn TKD in my kenpo class, the kenpo was great, but the TKD wasn't. Does it make sense? Well, if your instructor wants to add name or style recognition to his school, sure, but not in many other situations.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I hate to do this to ya Cloud Dragon, but I wouldn't change a thing. I am very happy I found Choy-Li-Fut!.......Wait..........Now that I think about it.........Free Room & Board (chinese food)........No Fees for Lessons......Free Pay-per-View for all major martial art events! :D

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

The only thing I would change about my chosen art is that I wish that it was more widespread to allow me to more easily find belts higher than myself within easy travel distance to train with.

The closest other sensei doing the same system as myself are in Seattle, Minnesota, California or Texas.

Technique-wise, I would change nothing about this system. I feel it is a perfect blend of all of the elements that I feel are important in a MA.

CloudDragon, you've given me an idea for another thread on board breaking.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

...harder training...

too much emphasis and reliance on chi sau as a judge of technique.

in itself it isn't a bad thing

but sometimes you need to take it of the 'safe environment' to really be sure.

whilst it is true that you can go hard when you cross hands but the chi sau mentality is hard to shake off and sometimes you stick when you should hit...

y'know, you end up fighting with chi sau which is kinda 'wrong'....

it's part of the mentality really which too much chi sau can imbed into you.

hmm, i guess what i'm trying to say is that wing chun needs more hands on testing like the not too distant 'old days' of wing shun leung in hk....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I wouldn't change anything about my styles or my clubs that I train at.

Well....apart from having free lessons, free uniforms, free beer... oooh, look, is that a flying pig up there????

Seriously, I love the styles I train in. I wouldn't want to change them.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

hehe you are asking the wrong question Cloud...

You maybe should have asked...

Can you change things in your system?

In American Kenpo, we add to the system If there are principles we run across that are not already included.

I see no reason why someone would want to remove any instruction or principles of a system simply because they dont understand or like them.

breaking boards may be a way you instructor motivates people, or raises their awarness of how to focus their strikes. Regardless I think that systems should be flexible enough to add to them without fear of changing them based on traditional reasoning. I am however extremely against removing principles if they are sound principles and are used for a reason.

I would add more throws into our system. We do a few (and some takedowns), but not enough in my opinion (might be because I had the chance to take some Judo LOL). I would add some ground defenses also ... Not ground fighting, per say, but defenses from the ground. Other than that, I like my school the way it is.

Laurie F

i wouldn't take a thing out of my style, i'd like to add more grappling and throws, but i don't know what they teach the black belts and above in my style

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.