Am i being ripped off?-Belt belt test fees

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! $500! Where you at? I'll come over there, teach my stuff and charge $400 for BB exam and quit playing the lotto!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Yes, I agree $500 is very much a rip-off.

For my karate Shodan test I paid £45 (about $60). That covered the 3 hour training session previous, the actual testing, the fancy certificate (which is HUGE), registration of the grade and a new belt (which was a bit of a cheapie belt, but...the thought was there...).

When I test for Nidan (in about 18 months to 2 years time, hopefully) the test fee will be £45 again, unless they've put the prices up by the time I test... :roll:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

$500....wow that's a lot......theres a Mcdojo here that has 23 different belt levels before black.... at $40 a test, I don't personally attend that school, but on average my dojo has about a $400 testing fee for balck which I am considering not paying. ($40 for coloured belts)

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I think it depends on where you are. If you're in a major metropolitan area, like New York or Los Angeles, where the rent on the dojang is astronomical, $500 might be reasonable. The school where I train in Chicago, which isn't cheap, charges $50 per test up to 2nd gup, $150 for 1st gup (which is considered deputy black belt) and another $200 for the 1st degree black belt, which includes a heavy-weight custom embroidered uniform and registration in the various accrediting organizations. It seems reasonable to me for this market.

Guess you have to look at it this way. Is the instructor out to make a profit from his or her school? What do you pay for lessons every month? There is a lot to consider here before making that decision. To be fair about this, I'll tell you what I pay and you can go from there. My instructor stated that the school makes enough to keep the lights on and doors open. The teachers and owners have other careers and the teachers do not get paid a penny. The cost is $80.00 dollars a month US currency. Your first uniform is free. Testing is free. Belts are free. Gloves and foot protecters and mouth protectors are out of your own pocket. Cost of black belt test and certification is free. Cost of lessons have added up over the time, but it's all been well worth it. Tournament fees are also out of the students pockets.

The school has fund raisers and garage sales to help pay for over night lock ins and other fun things for the kids. Camp is around $200.00 dollars if you choose to go. Like I said ....lots of things to consider and it sounds like my school gives a pretty fair shake. Anybody else?

Chaz

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

sounds to me like your getting ripped off.

Tests for regular grades are $25, the first dan test is $150, but that covers the belt, plus your name printed on it, and i think you get a jacket too. But $500? you should see what all that extra money is going to.

the lesson is the needle and you are the thread, let this image be in your mind constantly - Musashi