• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any World Oyama Karate Guys in here

supacoopatroopa

I'm sorry KF, it read to me like you were bashing our style?

If you were simply questioning on-line instruction then I do apologise.

If you are interested in fight based karate, you really should take a look at World Oyama.

Supa,

I'm 3rd kyu and going for my brown belt next month.

Only Saiko Shihan (and Soshu) can test brown belt and above, further proof to me that this is a serious style.

If anyone else doubts the heritage, take a look at the Kyokushin video, "Strongest Karate Vol 2" from the early 70s, where you see all three founders of World Oyama training the best American Kyokushin fighters (and Miura getting trained by Saiko Shihan for his upcoming all Japan torunament).

Defensive about my style?

You better believe it m8, I live and breathe it :)

I think I came away with a cracked rib from the tournie :(

Osu!

ET

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I came away with a cracked rib from the tournie :(

Sorry to hear that. Hope it heals up soon.

How did you do in the tourney?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I lost my only fight (senior division) by decision to a Muay Thai fighter with 5 years experience and 1 year Karate experience.

He was a big guy and very strong but he didn't hurt me that bad.

I watched a video of the fight afterwards and I landed more kicks on him and the punching was pretty even, he just had a lot more stamina than me.

But I didn't train for the tournament at all, I was on vacation in Scotland and only trained two days before the tournie which was the first workout I'd had in almost 3 weeks :)

The fact I was able to get through it without significant injury, without getting knocked out and without embarrassing my sensei gives me more hope for the next time. This was also my first tournament.

I think the rib is actually bruised, not cracked now, so I'll be OK in a few days.

Osu!

ET

I was at the old headquarter dojo in New York and Saiko Shihan and Soshu Oyama both said it was off. The website just needs to be updated, or like that part of the server needs work, some techno talk i don't understand. :D

...Osu...

I train in Kyokushin Karate, more specifically under the IKO1 organization. IKO1 is the organization thats run by Kancho Shokei Matsui who was appointed as head organizer by Mas Oyama when he passed away in 1994.

I'm sure it is quiet different from the World Oyama Organization, but probably a lot of similarities as well.

I don't find it strange at all considering the three founders of World Oyama were the leading instructors of Kyokushin sent ot America.

There is an interesting news letter by Siako Shihan on the WOKO site which shows him running next to Mas Oyama and talks about his early days as a teenager training at the original Kyokushin dojo with Mas Oyama.

If anything, I'll wager World Oyama is truer to the original Kyokushin than a lot of Kyokushin dojos in the US.

Edited by EvilTed