• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kumite:Angry Attack or Calm Counter?

Red Triangle student

i like to start of with a good faint. see how he/she reacts then take that and use it against them. i like to make the first move for this reason. a convinsing feint can do wonders in opening up your opponent. fake a front kick to the groin, they move to block and have fun using their face as a punching bag.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this is where the 'art' in martial art comes into play very strongly. The style of each individual fighter varies greatly. As the battle progresses you are likely to adjust yourself to the opponet, but to begin with you must feel your way through it, use better judgement. I love this part of it.

If your fist goes forth, withhold your anger, if your anger goes forth, withhold your fist.

if emotion is what fuels you, use it. You will make far more mistakes if you have to make the conscious effort to repress your emotions. If you are naturally calm, then fight that way. If anger or fear is what fuels you, use it. Learn to harness whatever tools / attrubutes you have and use them to your benefit.

Think of the guy on the street who wants to kill you, rape your girl and take your money. Do you think he's trying to repress his feelings? Heck no. He's harnessing it - using it to his advantage.

Remember the line in The Last Samurai....."Too much mind"......well, I try to keep my mind clear of all predetermined outcomes, techniques, counters, and just work with what's in front of me. If an opening is there, then I try to seize it, if not, I try to create it :brow: . As for fighting back in anger, try to think of it as a controlled anger/agression, and not let it consume you :karate: .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Mizu No Kokoro...

Research the above meaning and you'll find your answer.

Also, if you read my article "Mind Dumping," in the Articles section, it addresses this specific question you ask - and also explains the above saying too.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

keep attacking, that way they have no chance!! he he he

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

Somehow, I agree that bouncing is a waste of energy, but it also will give you speed, which you will probably will need. I can turn to the side twice as fast if im bouncing, than if i wasnt. Also, I can attack much faster.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

when you are bouncing, you lose your root and

you are expending energy unnecessarily. you are just as mobile when you shuffle as you are when you bounce - actually you are more mobile, as you can shift direction at the drop of a dime from a proper boxing stance. When you bounce, you leave yourself open to be attacked/swept, as was stated earlier.

you can't necessarily attack faster either. let's say you aren't bouncing up and down, but rather back and forth. Now, you aren't open to the sweep, but I will still time you.when you are coming forward, more weight is on the front leg - asking me to kick it. When you are going backward, your weight is also backward, asking me to rush you. While you are in a certain direction from the bounce, you are commintted to that direction - meaning you can't quite as readily go another direction.

when you are bouncing, you lose your root and

you are expending energy unnecessarily. you are just as mobile when you shuffle as you are when you bounce - actually you are more mobile, as you can shift direction at the drop of a dime from a proper boxing stance. When you bounce, you leave yourself open to be attacked/swept, as was stated earlier.

you can't necessarily attack faster either. let's say you aren't bouncing up and down, but rather back and forth. Now, you aren't open to the sweep, but I will still time you.when you are coming forward, more weight is on the front leg - asking me to kick it. When you are going backward, your weight is also backward, asking me to rush you. While you are in a certain direction from the bounce, you are commintted to that direction - meaning you can't quite as readily go another direction.