• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kumite:Angry Attack or Calm Counter?

Red Triangle student

Hi, I have been wondering what everyone thinks is the best state of mind for Kumite.

Is it better to have an attitude of going in with an attack constantly? Or is it just better to keep bouncing around and wauting for them to atttack you?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bounce around you will get winded and an experanced fighter will just come in and put you out. I would say if you see an opening, attack. If not counter the on comming attack and then go in. I have just seen too many people who bounce around, then get winded and then get taken to the cleaners.

...Osu...

Agree w/ th' MDOT guy. Additionally, it may allow him to time you and then nail you. Don't go in with a pre-planned fight. Adjust strategy to your opponent.

Freedom isn't free!

I always discourage the "bouncing" way of fighting, as a skilled opponent will time his attack to your "up-bounce" where you can't move. As for whether or not you should attack or wait and defend, I use a mixture of the two. I am a defensive, counter-fighter normally, but if I see an opening, I will take it.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

i learned a hard lesson in my first tournament...

fight for third place among all of canada... i lead 3 to 1... and get hit smack dab in the face, my opponent cared not for control or technique... it was a followthrough to knock me out cold... it did not... but i wish it had.

I swayed and my vision blurred for a minute or two, but i was okey soon and got back into the fight... i was VERY angry and my opponent, VERY VERY angry. all i wanted to do was get back at him... i did, my hardest uro-ken right in between the eyes... the warnings were going on and on... BUT the rest of the fight i was in a frenzy and cared not for defense... i lost the match 5 to 6

the moral is, and my advise, NEVER feel angry in kumite... be free of all emotion, become cold and precise. Attack only on opportunity and remmember: HARD vs SOFT and SOFT vs HARD

hope i have been helpful

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

Your attitude should be confident, your mind and body relaxed until your attack which should be fast, accurate and powerful. When your attack is complete you should once again return to calm and wait for your opponent's response.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I used to bounce when this one instructor taught us kumite, but after I went with another instructor and he let us go free style on kumite, I quickly learned bouncing around was not good.

waste of energy.

HUGE waste of energy especially since we had free for all kumite after 2hrs of training with no break.

Sometimes I will just stand still in one place scan my opponent and wait for an opening or just to see when an opening will present itself by seeing his movement.

Yes, I think the best way to do Kumite is to just attack and vounter whenever the time is appropriate.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I always discourage the "bouncing" way of fighting, as a skilled opponent will time his attack to your "up-bounce" where you can't move. As for whether or not you should attack or wait and defend, I use a mixture of the two. I am a defensive, counter-fighter normally, but if I see an opening, I will take it.

I use a mixure of the two as well, but there is something to be said about "broken rythm". Simply start circling more if you with to pace yourself and get some air, and await or feint for the next opportunity to clash.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."