• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate dad turned on to martial arts.

bluetiger

Hey guys.

My three boys all take Shotokan at a local dojo. They talked me into getting back into it. I'm currently a brand new white belt that desperately needs to get back in to shape. I've always loved martial arts, but never had the chance to take formal classes. My friends growing up all took one style or another and taught me enough to get me into trouble.

I do have one question, though. I'm a decent size guy (6'4" 235lbs). They told me they had to order my Gi. Is this normal? Or do only little people attend my dojo? :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome and enjoy the forums.

They may not stock the size you need. As far as little people, look around and step carefully. :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

welcome..

and to answer your question, us big guys are the exception not the rule in martial arts.

I am 6'3" and atm about 245

I wear a size 6 Gi, which should be fine for you.

One thing I recommend is spend a little extra money and get a heavy weight Gi. I have shreaded a few light weight Gis just doing normal activity.

I'm currently a brand new white belt that desperately needs to get back in to shape. I've always loved martial arts, but never had the chance to take formal classes.

Me too. My 3 kids started, and I was so interested I couldn't stand it anymore. Oh, and BTW, I have been in for just over a week, and I feel GREAT!. I haven't felt this good in yrs. :D

welcome..

and to answer your question, us big guys are the exception not the rule in martial arts.

I am 6'3" and atm about 245

I wear a size 6 Gi, which should be fine for you.

One thing I recommend is spend a little extra money and get a heavy weight Gi. I have shreaded a few light weight Gis just doing normal activity.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually the 6 was too short. My shoulders are pretty broad, so that usually screws me up on shirts all the time. When the 7 comes in I hope it doesn't swallow me whole.

I'm currently a brand new white belt that desperately needs to get back in to shape. I've always loved martial arts, but never had the chance to take formal classes.

Me too. My 3 kids started, and I was so interested I couldn't stand it anymore. Oh, and BTW, I have been in for just over a week, and I feel GREAT!. I haven't felt this good in yrs. :D

I'm the same way. You don't realize how good hard work can make you feel sometimes.