• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ATA VS. WTF VS. ITF

I would like to know everybodies opinions on these 3 federations or association. Which one is more competitive? Traditional? Modern? Cool? Thank you ahead!

TKD RULES!!!

Yellow/Green Belt aka High-Yellow

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is only an opinion

if you dream of olympic glory then wtf is for you.

wtf is probably the most practiced "style" of tkd.

so one will find lots of tournaments with olympic rules.

ata and itf are more all-a-round based. the sparring is very different thus the tournament rules are different. i have found that these types of tournaments are harder to find.

as for modern i think all three are modern, tkd came about in the 20th century. yes i know that the roots of tkd go back thousands of years but tkd as we know it today is not that old.

i do not think it really matters which federation you belong too. all three are good and have great martial artists in them. you could probably find something "cool" in all of them.

what are your goals as a tkd practioner?

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

I am part of a WTF school, BUT we don't spar that much. Yes, it's the olympic rules when we do, but we focus more on the other stuff, not so much the sport end.

I couldn't say much about the other two. I've seen videos of ITF that totally blew me away. This video of one ITF place I have, the technique displayed are really good (I'm a technique buff LOL)! But that's about it.

mcaselogic, from what you said, you do want to find a sport WTF school (if your school isn't aready).

Laurie F

• 5 weeks later...

i'm currently with CTF which is ITF affiliated, and for my opinion, i prefer the point sparring over olympic style any day, i HAVE to be able to use my hands, its just my style, but i practice hapkido at a school that also teaches WTF TKD, and i wish my kicks were as fast and flashy as some of their's. just my 2 cents

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

I haven't seen the other two, but from what my Teacher told me, ITF is more suited to those who prefer the art for its Original Techniques as opposed to the more intense sparring found in WTF

Federation: ITF Australia

School: Bai Rui

Previous Instructors: Master Paul Cutler (8th Degree), Mr Charles Birch (6th Degree), Mr Jason Kee (2nd Degree)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have done ata and itf, i like both, they both have the good and the bad. i do like the ata forms better though, their are two front kicks and two side kicks in the very first form. in itf the first two kicks you see are front kicks in the 3rd form. in itf you don't even see a round kick in a form until hwa rang, the 8th form. you see four round kicks in the second ata form and two front kicks. you see 2 jump front kicks in the third ata form and 6 kicks altogether also you get to see kicks on consecutive movements. in itf you don't see more than 2 kicks in any form until joong gun, the 6th form and you don't see more than four kicks until toi gye, the 7th form. in the ata forms there 10 kicks in the forth form and you get to see reverse side kicks already.