• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When you guys learned the Empi strikes?

Spielwurfel

Hi... I practice Shotokan Karate, but I don't use a Gi (or kimono, whatever) and my sensei never commented with me in wich belt I am... So, I want to know when you guys learned the Empi's (I'm not talking about the kata)... Just to me to have an ideia in wich belt I am ought to be... :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i guess it reallt depends on your sensei and your own ability and eagerness...

i learned empi strikes while still a white belt... they are really not all that special

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

Yes, in my dojo we learned empi strikes along with the basic bunches, and blocks.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We don't learn them with the other basics, but they come up enough that I don't think it's usually more than a month or so of training before a beginner would end up learning them.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

We don't learn them with the other basics, but they come up enough that I don't think it's usually more than a month or so of training before a beginner would end up learning them.

i myself think that there is no program that lets you learn certain moves at a certain level, combinations yes, but not individual moves... i'd say just show enthusiasm at learning something and ask for guidence from your sensei or fellow dojo members...

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

We usually do the round elbow, rising elbow on the white belt leval.

We add the side elbow or elbow thrust from a side stance somewhere betweent the next 2 color belts just depends on the person. Same is true for the downward elbow.

Blocking with elbows comes much later. As to other Elbow combos but the elbow as a strike is taught very early. In fact I usually include the round elbow strike on my white belt exam.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We usually learn roundhouse empi and rising empi fairly early on.

Sidewards and downwards elbow strikes are usually learned after the first or second belt test.

Starting to use combos with elbow techniques is generally done from the second coloured belt level (in my dojo that's red belt).

Blocking with the elbows is done at a higher level, usually from green or purple onwards.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

How long have you been learning? How many hours of training have you put in? How clean are your techniques? What kata do you know? What kata are you currently working on? What kick/punch combinations do you know?

Currently empi is no a part of our grading routine, and each dojo will have their own requirements, so it's hard to say, and in addition to that there are number of other factors to take into consideration.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum