• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who does Shorinkan Shorin-Ryu here?

Shorin Ryuu

This is a rather selfish thread. I was just wondering who does/did Shorinkan Shorin Ryu here (as in under Hanshi Nakazato in Okinawa). Just curious.

(Or maybe its just me, literally :D)

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right here. Who's your sensei?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I trained under Mark Staal who trained under Kyoshi Terry Gravelin from Michigan. I've also had the opportunity to train with (not regularly, unfortunately) Kyoshi Sean Riley in Colorado and at Kyoshi Doug Perry's dojo in North Carolina (the Mecca for Shorinkan in the US, in my opinion). Since Perry's the US director, Kyoshi Sean Riley suggested a friend and I train there for a week. It was phenomenal. We got about 8-9 hours of training a day. Plus hanging out with Kyoshi Perry was cool...he'd tell us war stories and martial arts training stories a lot...

I train Kobayashi shorin ryu under Bob Casar who trained under Kazumasa Yokoyama who trained under Shugoro Nakazato sensei.

I also train under sensei Darrel Craig who trained under Eizo shimabuko who trained under Chotoku Kyan although sensei craig teaches shindo jinen ryu

now a days but he still use some pure tomari-te

katas.(chinto,Kusanku,Gojoshiho,passai)

I trained under Mark Staal who trained under Kyoshi Terry Gravelin from Michigan. I've also had the opportunity to train with (not regularly, unfortunately) Kyoshi Sean Riley in Colorado and at Kyoshi Doug Perry's dojo in North Carolina (the Mecca for Shorinkan in the US, in my opinion). Since Perry's the US director, Kyoshi Sean Riley suggested a friend and I train there for a week. It was phenomenal. We got about 8-9 hours of training a day. Plus hanging out with Kyoshi Perry was cool...he'd tell us war stories and martial arts training stories a lot...

Yes, Kyoshi Perry is the best I've ever seen. He really knows the groundfighting and internal aspects of Karate, largely unknown. I might be going to his camp this year.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I wish I could make it to camp. I've never been there but everyone I've talked to says it is awesome. Yeah, Kyoshi Perry is perhaps one of the most humble yet skilled people I have seen/heard of. Not to mention kind and overly generous...

Just serfed into this site.....

Anyone else train Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu in MN?

I had the fortune to train with Perry Sensei last fall in Calif. He is quite the gentleman.

A group of us made a trip to Okinawa this spring. It was the trip of a lifetime. The island was incredibly beautiful but it paled in comparison to the people!