• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

motivation for starting martial arts

what was the reason you started martial arts for?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. what was the reason you started martial arts for?

• to improve your health
    • to show off infront of the girls.
    • because of a movie/actor
    • for self defence
    • you like fighting
    • other... (if yes please post the reason)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My intial motivators where Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and Jackie Chan. The reason I got involved was that of becoming a Teacher. I don't like to fight, I do like to play rough with other MA's and use the techniques, applied science and strategy to defeat my opponent. It's fun when it all come together, the timing, the strike or block, the footwork!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Yeah I don`t like fighting either. I love to try my strategys against other styles though to. I started my early martial arts training (when I was about 7), because of my parents. They forced me, because I kept beating up the other children in my school. Since then I have totally changed in my attitude. I respect other people and only train for the techniques/perfection of the techniques and to reach a very high level.

Be everything. Be nothing.

I remember taking a basic karate, self-defence class in elemtary school that was only 8-weeks long, but I've always had a fascination with martial arts. I don't know if it's the "cool fighting" factor or what. Anyway, over 15 years later I noticed that a karate instructor had rented out the hall in our church to give karate lessons and I thought I would give it a try.

There aren't many things I enjoy more than karate. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I really like the workouts, the stuff I'm learning, the opportunities to share knowledge and insight, the people...the list could go on and on.

I love it. I feel good, I feel healthy, I feel confident and I'm having a blast.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

I started karate to be different to my sister! She's really really girly, is a ballet dancer, and the whole family thinks she's marvellous. So I started karate because at the time I couldn't think of anything more unlike ballet (although now of course I realise that there are actually some similarities), and I wanted to annoy my parents! Now I'm hooked, I get on with my sister now, but karate still annoys my parents. I think its just that everywhere my mum tries to hang up wet clothes, there is always a gi there already!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

I think its just that everywhere my mum tries to hang up wet clothes, there is always a gi there already!

Most of my washing seems to consist of gi's or other martial arts related clothing... :roll:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Most of my washing seems to consist of gi's or other martial arts related clothing... :roll:

Someone should invent the disposable gi. ;)

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

My dad just showed up one day with a uniform in his hand and 2 patches. Karate class starts in about... 30 minutes! I rushed to put the patches on and all confused i went to the 'dojo' no real motivation, it didnt really bother me cause it was an hour a day, but since ive gotten my green belt rank its starting to take alot more meaning into my life.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)