• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

motivation for starting martial arts

what was the reason you started martial arts for?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. what was the reason you started martial arts for?

• to improve your health
    • to show off infront of the girls.
    • because of a movie/actor
    • for self defence
    • you like fighting
    • other... (if yes please post the reason)

I was wondering why you guys initially started doing martial arts. I guess the motivations have changed during your training, but letting us know your initial motivation would be quite cool.

Be everything. Be nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial motivation for me= a friend had recently started and she showed me her first kata. I was intrigued and went along to the class to find out more...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

My eldest son was getting picked on and beaten in our own backyard (housing development type living where 10 houses shared a common backyard area) on a daily basis so I took him in to a local Tang Soo Do school. I watched for about a month, it looked like fun so I gave it a whirl. 4 years later, my son no longer trains (wanted to do other things, stopped after he attained 2nd gup) but i'm hooked.

Tang Soo!

Cho Dan - Tang Soo Do

Miller Tang Soo Do Institute

https://www.mtsdi.com

I initially got started because it was something new and different. This was back in January of 1975 when there wasn't a dojo on every street corner (almost anyway) like there is now. I was fascinated by the moves you'd see in the movies for several years (mostly Bruce Lee) and a friend of mine had just joined a local dojo. I went to watch a class of his in his sensei's living room dojo (now THAT was interesting! :brow: , and the sensei told me to get in line. I told him I just wanted to watch, and he said "If you're interested enough to watch, you're interested enough to try it." Well, nearly 30 years later, I'm still in total fascination of the art. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I first took TKD as a PE course in college. Why? I can't remember. Maybe it just fit into my schedule. But I really enjoyed it but couldn't continue after the semester let out.

17 years later I have two little boys (4 and 6) who wanted to take karate. There ws a TKD school nearby that I had heard some good things about. So I enrolled them, thinking I was too old to get started.

I spent a lot of time there watching them train, and I was picking up on their techniques and forms (kata). I ended up teaching them the forms. So I decided as long as I'm there anyway, and there are a few guys my age there, I'd join also.

It's been a blast going through the ranks with them. And when my daughter got old enough she joined. It's been so wonderful doing so much with my kids I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

When I was 12 I took a self defence class at a karate school with Girl Scouts. And I loved it. At the time I played basketball, softball, volleyball, and I had played basiclly every sport there was offered around me. But I liked this one class better than all of it. I went home that night and tried to convice my mom to let me join. But she wouldn't. When my brother was 12 he wanted to join. She let him. So about 6 months later (After basketball season was over.) I asked again if I would be allowed to. Still she wouldn't let me. So I started using the defense "It's because I'm a girl isn't it" so then she had to let me join. So all in all I think I got into it just for the sport of it. But I absolutly love it now.

My son wanted to try martial arts so I enrolled him first. My daughter and I went and watched the classes while he trained and after about 3 months she asked if she could join also. I figured since they were both going to do it and I had done MA in the past and was interested in starting again we'd all go together. It has been a great activity for the family and something we can all work on together.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

My motivation was my father. He wanted me to be in it, of course it was my choice. But I guess the better question is why do you stay in it?

I stay in it because I have found a certain peace whenever I enter the Dojo that I can find nowhere else, not even my home. (I know it is crazy). The Martial Arts has developed as part of my blood, spirit, basically it is a big part of who I am and how I live my life.

It is Better to be hated for who you are then to be loved for who you aren't!

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

Me and two other friends, enamored of bad kung fu flicks (Bruce Lee) wanted to be cool and take it. I had always wanted to take it because of its self-defense value and I wanted to be stronger (I was a bit, and still am, of an exercise junkie).

After that phase, I focused solely upon its practical combative (non-tournament) value and how it made me a more well balanced person.

This phase still holds true today.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/