• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginning Adults: Do you feel silly?

I started TKD one month ago with my son. I am 39 and my son is 7. We started in the same class and yes, I was the tallest and oldest there. I felt pretty stupid at first, but one way of looking at it is that it should be a good inspiration for the young ones.....if an old "fogy" can do it they should be able to. My son was not quite ready yet, but just yesterday (Saturday) I experienced my first promotion test and now I have my orange stripe.

Another adult just joined the class so at least I am not the only adult anymore (but I still am the oldest).

PS- at the promoyion test, there was a 5 year old boy who was awarded his blue belt/red stripe......

I am not sure why there arent more adults involved, I am hoping as I advance more, this will change. Maybe as other adultsa watch me take my promotion tests, it will inspire them to get with the program.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just act like no1 has an age, lol, im 13, and almost everyone in my class is 7, but i just say everyone has no age, lol. then again im the highest ranking student in my school, hehe

A Song Moo Kwon Tae Kwon Do Brown Belt

Asynk- don't get discouraged....I am 44 about to turn 45 in Nov. & started when I was 42. one of our best black belts (now 3rd degree) also started when he was 42. Same thing I tell my kids if you want to be good at something just practice-practice-practice! I just placed 1st in sparring 2 weekends ago in Jonesboro,Ark at Joey Perry's Ark Classic in my age group. That was my 1st ever 1st place & I should have competed in forms(but didn't)also & I would have at least had 2nd place...The thing is-I compete for the joy of it....sounds like * but if I lose, I try to learn from it. I am not trying to do 540's or anything extreme but -just to do my best & when sparring class rolls around, all I can say is... you young guys better watch out for the Geezer..... :brow:

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

I love your additude Old Rookie! I started back when I was 43 and I'll be 46 in a few months. I just stumbled onto this board after checking around and I really like the vibe here! I'm still on my red belt and in no hurry to reach the black...maybe this winter sometime. Anyway....I was the ONLY adult for the longest time. I felt so self-aware during belt ceremonies and such. I would watch the parents sitting on the sideline and sometimes asked if they would consider joining themselves. Lo and behold, many did and now the class is filled with adults and we have a blast! A few of them commented that if an old geezer like myself could do this, then they could as well. I would always come in early to stretch out and watch the younger students go through their forms. Watching a 10 year old black belt go through forms is a thing of beauty as flexibility is not an issue! I still have flexibility problems, but at least I'm working on it!

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

Just remember that starting later on isn't a bad thing. If you train hard you will do well despite having to face 10-12yr olds. I'd suggest focusing on Katas and your basic techniquics, this will help you out when you get to Senior belt classes. Plus you attention span might (depending on the person) be a little better than the average teen. I started at 23, had no flexability and felt weird when I went to my stsrter classes. As the belts progressed I am in the Adult class and everyone there, is there to learn TKD. Good luck and train hard.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I started TKD one month ago with my son. I am 39 and my son is 7. We started in the same class and yes, I was the tallest and oldest there. I felt pretty stupid at first, but one way of looking at it is that it should be a good inspiration for the young ones.....if an old "fogy" can do it they should be able to.

That's a great way of putting it, cseid64. And also very similar to my view.

I practiced TKD from 1985 to 1988 when I was around 18 years old. My school closed down and (being 18 years old) got into "other stuff". In the last 15 years I had pretty much kept myself in shape and practiced up on all of my old forms (Taeguks Il Jong thru Yook Jong) every now and then hoping to find a school comparable to my former school. My son turned 7 in January 2003 so I decided it was time to look into the local TKD school right in my hometown. Amazingly, it was almost a carbon copy of my old school so I joined up, at 35 years old, along with my son. We are a very family friendly school and include many adult students that are the parents of the young students. We've got one young lady, age 11, just received her black belt last Saturday and she has her mom, dad, little brother, two cousins and GREAT grandfather also members of the school. Grandpa is 73 years old. He will probably be testing for his black belt next August at the same time as me.

draneym2 comments that he was the only adult in the school for awhile. Gotta start somewhere!

"One who controls himself is stronger than one who controls others."

yeah i sometime feel weird too. I am 16 and am just startin' out. In my classes the oldest person is about the age of 12. Like just the other day to warm up we sort of played a tag game. I guess to get the kids runnin', but i felt so weird. when iwas it, i got everyone in a matter of seconds. Either way though i am gonna stick it out. I'm in the best school in my area and i am gonna make the best of this.

Martial Arts USA

TALIUM - THE SPIRIT OF TAEKWONDO

https://www.talium4me.com

Im considering a TKD class in additon to my Tai Chi training.

It ought to be an interesting culture shock for me. At 38 yrs old, I am the youngest person in my Tai Chi class. :)

I doubt that will hold true if I take the TKD.

The good news is I already know the instructor at the TKD school - he trained my kids for a few months. Im hoping that will help the "old guy" feelings when I start out.

• 2 weeks later...

when i reached the age of 13 and the rank of browm belt, i started takingadult classes. I am now 15 and a black belt. at first, the adults were really weird around me and arfaid to go hard on me. now, many of them say i am their favorite sparring partner becasue i am willing to try new things. when i am paired with an adult who is new to the class and they go gently, i just say "hey, just becasue i;m a kid, doesnt mean i ant take what ever youve got" this usually makes them laugh and realize i am just as good as them.