• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginning Adults: Do you feel silly?

I just joined up with a local TKD school. I really like it and am looking forward to advanceing and learning all the new stuff. The only small issues I have is this: I am 32 years old and MOST of the students are 15 and under. There are adult classes, but often the 12& ups still come in. I feel kinda silly that I am SO much older than those kiids and I am just starting out. There are many 10-12 yr old brown and black belts,etc. I even saw a 7 year old that was a purple belt. Does anyone else feel this way or did you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to Karate Forums! :)

Yes, I did feel a little silly when I first started karate. When I first started training at my club there were only my friend and me who were adults - all of the other beginners were kids/teens.

However, because I loved training so much I tried not to let it bother me.

Because there were a lack of adults to train with in the absolute beginners class, I actually got moved up to the more advanced class sooner than I should have.

Keep on going with your training! After a few sessions you may not even notice who is there and who isn't - you'll be so intent on training.

Good luck with it. :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

There are many 10-12 yr old brown and black belts,etc. I even saw a 7 year old that was a purple belt. Does anyone else feel this way or did you?

A question for you. Is there any douibt in your mind that in a fight..I mean a REAL street fight, that you, as a 32 year old adult, couldn't kick some major butt on those kiddies with those high ranking belts?

So tell me...do you still feel silly now?

See? There are even sillier things out there than training in a class full of kids. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

A question for you. Is there any douibt in your mind that in a fight..I mean a REAL street fight, that you, as a 32 year old adult, couldn't kick some major butt on those kiddies with those high ranking belts?

:o ROTFLMFAO! :lol:

Seriously, though, I am 31 and just starting on my MA journey as well. It's been a long time coming and in a lot of ways I feel like a kid again.

I would think that if you can develop a good relationship with your instructor, the kids with higher belts won't matter too much.

Good luck on your training.

I started at 33 years old and felt really out of place. Dont stop it gets better it has now become a way of life for me. All those little 14, 15 and 16 year olds are now 18 to 20 year olds and are great sparring partners and teachers you can learn alot from watching them mature in Katate.

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

I tend to agree with the posts so far. The "adults" class at my dojo is for 14 and up, so there are a few younger people there, but they're old enough to take the class seriously, so I've never felt too embarrassed to train with them. In fact, there are a couple of 16 (or so) year olds that I think are very enjoyable as sparring partners. They're more enthusiastic and willing to try new things than some of the adults.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

Been there too. It's kinda hard and unpleasant and you really feel stupid. Still with some work in few months you'll receive a different kind of looks :D

A serious and working adult can just do wonders ... Just stay with the training, be nice to the others and even laugh when you've screwd it again :karate: I used to be very relaxed and admit my mistakes. I has earned me the simpathy and respect of younger peers. I became quite a good MA but never forgot to be nice. They are great friends and every minute of training is pleasant just because we really get along well. :karate:

just secure a good relationship with your instructor and some students....it will be fine, if you train hard others will respect that, regardless of how old you are or what rank you are. People admire determination and hard work.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

a general reply

starting something new is not always the easiest thing. in the respect to a martial arts classroom, do not worry about the other students. they know that starting up is difficult because they were there once too. as a begginer focus on what the instriuctor is trying to teach you and less on how you look to him or other students. also in time you will find that those more experienced students are going to help you out alot. i myself don't remember much from my first class (7 years of age) except that it was a lot of fun. so know as an adult and instructor i always try my best to make all new and old students feel good about themselves.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm glad I found a community that supports my new hobby.

I really enjoy the class, and I can't wait for the next one. I do find that once I get in that 'zone', that I hardly notice anyone else around me. My wife even attends sometimes.. and we thought that would be odd. We actually hardly even look at each other or talk. I'm sure those initial butterflies will go away as I attend more classes. I've done some ju jutsu in the past but I'm hoping to make this one last to at least black belt.