• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personal training in uniforms

BUT i still hold that if a person wishes to train in uniform in public, that does NOT automatically mean that person is showing off or make a spectical

...it doesn't matter what you think or intend.

it is how other people wil perceive you...

don't think that all that was said in this thread and on this board as a whole was ignored by me... i heed advice when it is wisely given... as i have said, school is still a month off, and i am thinking hard about this

Perphaps i should finilize my view on others perception of me:

If i always cared what others thought of me and acted to please their desires... well, quite honestly i would be dead long ago.

If i were always fearing that some moron is thinking that i "show off" and that some dolt is making fun of me, i would not have done over half the things that i did in my life... the half that i am proud of, the half that taught me and elevated my experience. Quite simply, i don't care if somebody has nothing better to do but pick on someone else... they have a freedom to ignore it and i am in no way barring that freedom...

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...so once again and for the final time.

you know that training in a public in any semblance of a gi, be it full outfit, or just the trousers, will without a doubt cause some 'trouble', especially seeing as the public place is school

yet you still insist that you will train in your gi.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Monkey and dear friends. The discussion is kinda over There's a monologue here (we're talking to the air :D ). So Kaos ... do what you intended all the time, wear the gi, the belt, a wedding dress .. anything.

I just wish we aren't right about it and nothing would come to distract your journey to MA perfection. I hope you won't have any problems and we were just talking garbage. Maybe things are gonna be OK. Maybe not. We'll find out eventually :D

.....i once trained in my local park with a friend.

he's a jkd guy and wanted to learn more wing chun.

we chose the park cos we intended to get quite rough and i didn't like the idea of ripping up my lawn, so the park it was.

we were wearing NORMAL clothes.

we were in a very quiet area of the park but near major paths so that if anything happened, we weren't secluded.

an oldish couple walked by and asked us what we were doing.

i explained the form and they seemed quite interested.

tehy said it's nice to see young people using the park instead of sitting in front of a computer all day.

i refrained from showing what the moves actually did...

another couple walked by and the guy approached us and asked about wing chun and if i knew a wing chun sifu in london.

then a little group of school-kids (15-16yrs maybe), approached us

(there's a school nearby but on the other side of the park).

started trouble.

a bit of trash talk but no action.

i had the benefit of a training partner so i had something to focus on and could 'ignore' them.

when i asked if they wanted to try, they put on a little show and eventually backed off.

now imagine if i had been on my own and wearing a martial art uniform of any sort.

more fuel to the fire.

now i am intelligent enough to know that if i am going to train in a public arena,

i will try to keep as low a profile as possible.

even so, i still attracted attention.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

We have a rule similar to the original poster.

"Outside of the Dojang conduct yourself like a representative of the martial arts. For example always show self control and try to avoid fighting and showing off."

Master Shelton translated that to say, that when we pick fights, or show off, it brings dishonor to the martial arts, our school, and ourselves. We should honor our discipline, and our school by showing self control at all times.

......in hk i was not allowed any sort of 'show' that i knew any martial art.

the reasoning was that basically,

why let people know and be prepared?

better to not let them know then let them regret having tried anything....