• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personal training in uniforms

hi everybody,

school is soon to start for me and i am faced with alot less time on my hands for MA training...

and what i have been thinking of is some personal trainning at the school gym or on the school football field, since i'll have a few hours now and then during the school day due to spares and lunches. It certainly beats wasting time at the lunch-room.

My question is in two parts. First, would it be right to traing in such a public place? one of the first rules of my dojo is to NOT TEACH ANY NON-KARATEKA THE ART OF KARATE-DO; i certainly won't be teaching anyone, but people will be able to see me and may learn that way... i'll try not to show off and find the most isolated spots, but i can't turn invisible...

Second, would be alright to wear my karate gi for such training? I'm currently a green belt, but personally i train wearing a white belt. It's just that i feel so much more comfortable in my gi, and i sense some motivation (if i can call it that) when i wear my gi. It really helps me keep focus. Once again, i wount be showing off or braging, but i'm sceptical about the possible attention it may bring...

thank you for your help

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is up to your level of comfort and self-conciousness whether to train in your gi in a public place.

The rule is a little bizarre. Taken literally, they should never start training anybody.

Well, training at school in a quiet spot would be OK, but I wouldn't recommend that you wear your gi.

Firstly, if your club has that rule then they probably won't like it if you wear your gi outside of class.

Secondly, you'll probably draw more attention to yourself by wearing your gi in a public place.

Also, if you know anyone else at your school who trains in karate then maybe you could train with them?

If your school has a small sports hall or gymnasium that you could borrow over lunch time or before or after school then you could train in there. If you've booked the place yourself and no-one else can use it at that time then you're less likely to be disturbed than if you're using a public place.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i may be wrong in the wording of the rule, but in it's core it means not to train anyone outside the dojo, private practice is not forbidden...

it's not that i worry about training someone because i will definately not, it's whether wearing my gi outside the dojo is somehow disrespectful or something in that manner

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

Its not 'disrespectful'. Practically, the gi is just something you wear so your normal clothes won't get dirty. If you look at old photos of karateka, a lot of times they just wore a type of underwear and nothing else...so its not like you are disgracing your ancestors-in-training by wearing it outside the dojo...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

thank you shorin, for getting that clear to me...

however, at least to me my gi is not just workout/trainning clothes, it's a symbol of my participation and commitmnet, my anchor you may say, in a sea of storms... ina few words, i'm very attatched to my kimano

i don't feel ashamed or scared to show it in public, i was just worried if that would contradict the ethics of MA, and karate in particular

I understand. I suppose practicing in the gi is a good way for many to people to get "psyched" into the proper mindset. As a karateka myself, I know how that feels.

Just one thing to keep in mind though...I remember back in college (which was only a few months ago...) our dojo used to be a converted and open squash court, people (like the lacrosse team or football team) would always poke fun at us. I imagine you might have the same experience in a public place because some people are like that. I just let it roll right off of me (I know it is frustrating when something you care about so much is ridiculed). If you let it get to you, then they win. I found it helped me to concentrate more on my practice then on what others thought of my practice, in actuality.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your training then.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

yes i do expect to face such challanges as well... faced them before, but somehow it's always different

however, i am on good terms witht he gym teachers and they may lend me the workout room in the mornings when only they and the dedicated weightlifters come, i can have the mats for myself then...

thanx for all the help

i would advise against wearing your belt in a public place. That was something my instructor forbid.

Unless it was for a martial arts event....but at school i would say no....the gi should be ok though....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

i would advise against wearing your belt in a public place. That was something my instructor forbid.

Unless it was for a martial arts event....but at school i would say no....the gi should be ok though....

The belt is to keep the gi closed.