• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Temporary grades

username237

We do use iron on stripes on our belts to denote kobudo rank with the stripe color matching the kyu rank color. Multiple stripes being for multiple weapons wearing only one stripe for each weapon. Bo rank, being our primary weapon, on top. With the other stripes in order of rank with no rank higher than bo rank.

• 11 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I began Shotokan in University and after taking the rank 9 kyu (white belt) I left the club because I left school for 2 years. Afterwards I got back. I've tested for the second belt (8 kyu- yellow belt) and got a sort of a temporary grade. In fact I got the belt, but sensei told us (we were 3) in 2 months we'll grade again and then we'll get our diplomas. I was frustrated and sad although I was a yellow belt. Needless to say I refused to wear my belt (I used the white one instead) and in 2 months I got my rank with "standing ovatins". Sensei was thrilled with my progress and only then I wore the belt.

About temporary ranks ... I'm against. I would have felt better knowing I failed (well I failed, but they said I got the rank :D ). For me and for my 2 coleagues it worked. We strived to get better and had no problems since then. We also decided to train twice as much (from 2 days we got to 4 days a week).

ISKF has variations of "passing" in its kyu testings that correspond to a pass, high pass and honurs. Is it anything like that?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 1 month later...
We toyed with the idea of stripes and half-grades but ultimately settled on a white, yellow, green, purple, brown and black belt system. No temporary grades. The student must be able to demonstrate the requirements for the belt to be earned plus all previous requirements.