• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Temporary grades

username237

Does anyone go to a karate school where temporary grades are given out if your standard in the grading was above average but below the standard needed for your next belt? I used to grade like this with the FSK and dont think its a paticulary good idea (but thats just my opinion). Any comments? :argue:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

i once got a temporary purple belt and i was so upset. Because i was pretty young i really couldnt understand why i had "sort off" passed my grading. If you are only sort of good enough then technically you are not good enough in my opinion. Either you pass or you fail. Simple as!

Say you're going for your yellow belt, or any belt for that matter and you're not quite good enough for that belt, but better than the preceeding one, you get a tip of the next colour belt.. I thought most belt systems have that anyway.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I don't like the idea at all. As somebody said, either you are good enough for the next belt or you're not. There is no being 'too good' for the previous belt, if you are not good enough for the next one then you are simply a 'good' yellow belt or a 'good' orange belt or whatever.

My shotokan club (in the UK) gives out tempoary grades (or at least Andy Cherry does when he comes down and grades us) and it seems to me that 'EVERYBODY' grades successfully, at least at the early colours (up to purple at least) even small children who obviously are not very motivated or interested in karate at all. Yet to keep them keen and the monies coming in the style seems to have incorporated a 'tempoary' rank that is to say 'You are not good enough to grade but because we know you are only interested in silly belts we will give it to you anyway but attach the word 'tempoary' as to not insult the people who actually work for their gradings.

... My view.

~The things you own - they end up owning you.

When I was in Shorin ryu we had rank tips on our belts. But they were not to denote temporary ranks. The tips were part of the rank structure. We had fewer actual belts. We started with a white belt earned the next grade and got a tip. Then we would earn the next rank and get another tip for the other side of the belt thus using one belt for 3 ranks.

At my previous club, ALL junior students got tabs on their belts when they passed their grading.

So it was 9th Kyu, 9th Kyu + 1, 8th Kyu, *the Kyu + 1

Oh, and they didn't believe in junior Dan grades, so they had 6 tabs for 1st Kyu. It was a bit mad.

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)