• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kickboxing vs. Muay Thai?

real thai punching involves angling the punches downward upon impact, adding a triangulation effect. This isn't seen in all gyms, however.

can anyone please explain in detail what a triangulation effect is, i hadn't heard of that before. Does this effect have to do w using a kenpo fist? is this specifically for punches to the body since the angling is downward?

thanks betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, not kenpo. Triangulation is merely angling the strike downward upon impact, adding a little extra "oomph" into the strike. It can be done with most strikes, not just the hands. Ever see how some thai boxers angle their leg kicks down just after impact? that cutting in of the kick is where triangulation comes in.

triangulation is one of the seven steps involved in power generation in thai boxing.

torque is one of the seven, but different from triangulation. the seven are

transition

velocity

rotation

snap

torque

triangulation

gravitation

torque is twisting in general - doesn't have to be downward. triangulation is specifically downward.

torque is one of the seven, but different from triangulation. the seven are

transition

velocity

rotation

snap

torque

triangulation

gravitation

torque is twisting in general - doesn't have to be downward. triangulation is specifically downward.

i was to the understanding that MT leg kicks weren't supposed to have "snap" they were supposed to be like a clubbing action

look at me, i can dance, i know tae kwon do!

ya im going to have to disagree with you, we may be talking about the same thing, but the extra oomph on the end is indeed generated by torque when i throw it.

If you want to call it something different thats fine, but I know the way i throw it, and i know how i throw it, and i know what torque is.

I am not sure where you got your list of seven, but thats the first time i have seen that so it may be your instructors own drawn up information..

Not saying it is wrong, but i am saying it isnt the bible of muay thai

I am a little confused about your steps as well...

Gravitation according to the dictionary is...

The natural phenomenon of attraction between massive bodies.

The act or process of moving under the influence of this attraction.

A movement toward a source of attraction.

I am not sure how that is a step

and

Triangulation is..

1 a method of surveying in which an area is divided into triangles, one side (the base line) and all angles of which are measured and the lengths of the other lines calculated trigonometrically

2 the network of triangles so formed

3 the fixing of an unknown point, as in navigation, by making it one vertex of a triangle, the other two being known

4 (Chess) a key manoeuvre in the endgame in which the king moves thrice in a triangular path to leave the opposing king with the move and at a disadvantage

I am very confused by the use of this word as well...

If it is referring to the three dimensional patterns of movement that can be made, some are indeed triangles but there are many many more shapes and patterns that can be made, so i think that would be an inappropriate word.

If you are talking about a 3 point attack, I am just not sure what you are getting at..

Do you have a definition to the terms you are talking about and why they work..I am sure they have a proper meaning, I just cant get it out of the word itself adn i have never seen it used before with any muay thai trainer i have worked with.

The reason I stated Torque is probably apparant in the dictionary version....

The moment of a force; the measure of a force's tendency to produce torsion and rotation about an axis, equal to the vector product of the radius vector from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force and the force vector.

A turning or twisting force.

by turning/twisting the punch downward at the last instant you generate torque and increase the effectiveness of the strike.

valetudo to answer your question, some muay thai kicks will have a snap to them, it depends on what your intention with the kick is.

If you are thinking of the classic round house power kicks to the thigh, those generally do drive through the target rather then snap, but there are many kicks to the inner thigh for example that can have a snap to them

i suppose, i was thinking maybe more towards the face, but my instructor told me, "sht if ur gonna get a kick up there, y not just club the fcker w/ it"

we were told "the more noise on the thai pads u make, the less power and drive"

look at me, i can dance, i know tae kwon do!

I am not sure where you got your list of seven, but thats the first time i have seen that so it may be your instructors own drawn up information..

not sure where he got it, but I've seen something similar in a book by pedro villalobos. They're not steps per se, but more of principles of how force is generated.

Not saying it is wrong, but i am saying it isnt the bible of muay thai

of course not.

Gravitation according to the dictionary is...

The natural phenomenon of attraction between massive bodies.

The act or process of moving under the influence of this attraction.

A movement toward a source of attraction.

I am not sure how that is a step

as stated, gravitation isn't really a step, and by some is considered a bad term. gravitation is merely referring to contact with the ground - like driving into a strike.