• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

so im at work today (in vegas) and there are these three big guys who look like power lifters or something at the store next to mine. one is flirting with this girl, another is waiting on him so i ask him: whats up with all the big guys. turns out they had all tried out for k1 amateur fights or something like that. what was amazing was just how huge these guys were! they looked like body builders under their clothes- and one guy who was several inches shorter than me, yet about three times as strong im guessing, i outweighed. quite a humbling experience. (i decided not to ask them to show me any moves). it was pretty neat though.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cool, I saw guys like that at the the pool once and I kinda wondered if they were on steroids or something, probaby not :)

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

your in vegas huh?

Im headed out right now

Going to be there at the fights myself.

Personally I am hoping to run into Carter Williams, I really am hoping to be able to egg him on enough so that they accept a fight offer :)

As far as people beign on steroids, unfortunately alot of wannabes are on steroids.

But most of the guys i have seen fighting are not too big...

marvin eastman from vegas is a big musclebound guy, there are a few others but like marvin those are usually shorter guys who need to apck it on.

Most of the people fighting in K1 are about my size.... give or take a couple inches and a few pounds..

prototypical K1 fighters are about 6' to 6'5" and between 215 and 250..

most bodybuilders are going to be between 5'6" and 6' and weigh between 250 and 320..

the K1 athletes imo are easy to do naturally with no juice....

I know alot of people look at some profressional athletes and think damn those guys are huge... But until you have seen a profressional Bodybuilder up close its hard to picture how freakishly big peopel can get their muscles.

I had an opportunity to mean Ronnie Coleman about a year ago... the guy was about 350 pounds and you could see he was damn near shredded...

IT was almost like a train wreck.... you couldnt stop looking even though you didnt want too :o

did you hear about some new guy, i forget his name, whos supposed to be 6'5'' and 380? the guy was telling me about him, and unlike sapp, he apparently kicks as well as punches.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

yes let me find his info...

and I hate to say it but he is very much like Sapp, an oddity.

I dont think he will go far at all, and atm he is a spectator draw due to his size.

I find that very different from an actual fighter

yea, its a real love/hate thing with sapp with me... same reason- him being just an oddity. kind of like the big strong guy whos slow but powerful in a video game or something. basically i like him as a different kind of opponent to someone i want to see win.

-Machiavelli

• 4 weeks later...

IMO there is a line not to cross when it comes to mass building in relation to fighting. Some good examples of guys that have gotten there and not gone over are Ken Shamrock, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, and Micheal McDonald. All these guys are slightly undersized as far as height goes and make up for it with extreme power.

Being naturally big like about 6'3" and naturally weighing 220+ would be ideal but us shorter guys have to make up for that extra natural size by lifting heavy.

Bob Sapp is an example of going to far. But that may be his natural genetics. Still not very effective against world class competition.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that at the gym that I goto, a Muay Thai, KickBoxing, Boxing gym, that there are many guys that go into the weight room including me, and come back out and train on the bags, and sparr in the ring, then play with the heavy bags on the ground for ground fighting, and then back into the weight room, then bag work, then conditioning, then sparring.

They are all built extrmely good. Not like a karate school normally is. You have these obese kids that wanna learn SELF DEFENSE! and they are punching with their thumbs tucked in.

Edited by Dragonfly

I know alot about a little bit, and a little bit about alot.