• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are real tournaments like?

My Muay-Thai school had a school "tournament" where we had to wear shin guards and bag gloves and chest protectors and we weren't allowed to punch to the head, only the heavily padded chest. And I don't think you could kick too hard either. So basicly, nobody felt the least bit of pain. At the end of a three minute round, the judges decided the winner by how many strikes he landed, his form, etc. I want to know if there are any actual tournaments that are like this or are they all just like %100 all out?

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the only muay thai tournaments i am familiar with are all full contact with minimal protection... meaning mouthpiece, groin cup, and gloves.

this is the first i have heard of htis type of tournament you mention

No offense, but I would not call that a MT tournement. After all, that's not MT. Sounds like something your instructor set up. It's not a bad thing, it's just not MT.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

Yeah I think you're right. Thanks for the input.

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

That sounds a lot like my school's kickboxing tournament. We put one on and invite schools from all over... there are varying levels of difficulty: you can choose no-face, face contact, or full contact, or you can choose ground fighting or forms divisions... you basically compete in whatever you're comfortable doing. I have yet to compete in a face contact division (meaning punches to the face... kicks to the head are always allowed) but hope to do so in the next one in February.

Have you asked your instructor about it? I find it best to ask when in doubt instead of come up with wrong conclusions. Also, you should always know what to expect when entering a tournament. Those who are game-wise (I just made that up) and know the rules and how to use them to their advantage often have an edge in competition.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

kbgirl, are you allowed to kick full power to the head in your tournaments? Have there ever been wins by KO? The answer to both questions would be no for me, and I'm not sure if you can kick hard to the thighs or if you have to kick lightly.

I guess a lot of people don't really want to get hurt or get too much pain but still want to fight, so this kind of fight is good for them. Thanks for posting!

"Haha. Too bad."

-Bruce Lee