• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uniforms

In different styles/training halls (Since I can't say dojo to cover every style), what sort of uniforms do you wear? I know this may seem like a dumb question since the gi is looked upon as the quintessential MA uniform, but I know that kung fu schools sometimes wear the frog button kung fu uniforms or dress in loose street clothes. A lot of the "Ulitmate Warrior" training halls that stress street fighting tend to go without the uniform.

So... what kind of uniform do you wear, and what is the importance of the uniform to you?

PS: To this date, I have not seen a single training hall wearing those Shaolin Monk robes I see in the movies... anyone have any insight into why? Are they purely movie uniforms?

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Hudson. I have no clue about the Shaolin Monk uniforms. Maybe one of the Kung Fu guys on this board can help with that.

Anyway, I wear the typical v-neck (white) uniform for TKD. I have a traditional wrap around uniform from my TSD days (white also). And for Judo, which I didn't take for very long, I just wore uniform pants and a t-shirt (I thought it was going to rip a few times from doing throws LOL).

Laurie F

I wear a wrap-over gi for karate.

When I trained in Aikido I wore a Judo gi.

For my Kobudo training I either wear a Karate gi, or gi trousers and a t-shirt.

For the street/freestyle self defence classes my karate instructor does we either wear street clothes or gi trousers and a t-shirt.

I've recently started Wing Chun and I wear gi trousers and a t-shirt with the club logo on it for that.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I wear a full white karate gi for my shito ryu dojo, and loose shorts and a t-shirt for muay thai.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Same as aefibird's wing chun, gi trousers and a black T-shirt with the club logo for shaolin kung fu.

Draven Chen Zhen posted this here few months ago but he's wearing the uniform we wear otherwise, except for the hat and that grey shirt he's wearing underneath the black T-shirt.

http://gradweb.kahosl.be/studenten/karel.striegel/Draak.avi

I wear a white gi for karate, and for OFM I wear a T-Shirt with the logo on, and full contact trousers. However, for OCFM it is not compulsory to wear the 'official' T-Shirt and you could turn up in a tutu if you wanted. :brow:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Heavy weight karategi (I feel great in it, though it's rigid) .. PLAIN white. The only coloured thing is the producre's patch. I thought of removing it too, but maybe that would be too drastic. We don't have school patches on dogis as we tend to be traditional to an extreme :D

Seen at a tourney some kids with a big patch on the back. They were adverising for "Diamond Sugar". Let me tell you I thought it was hilarious. Logos and patches can be placed on Tshirts and sport costumes, but the dogi .. well at least not in our dojo and federation :karate:

I have two heavyweight gi (brushed cotton though) and 3 middleweight gi. When I first started wearing the heavyweights I thought they were horrible, heavy and hard and uncomfortable; now I have got used to them I like the feeling and find if I have to put a midweight on that it feels far too light and flimsy.... like wearing pyjamas.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum