• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am bad at foot jabbing. How can you footjab so that you don't lose your balance and still push your opponent away a lot?

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I fall backwards.

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say you're probably standing upright when you land the kick. Without seeing you do the technique it's hard to say. When you do your footjab, your body, (trunk) should lean back as you thrust your hips forward. All the power from this kick should come from your hips, you cannot do this if your trunk is vertical. Sounds to me like you're trying to stand up more or less straight and pushing with your thigh. Don't. Push with your hips. :D

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

Thanks. I think you're right. I'm trying this out on my training bag right now and my balance is a lot better. I just have one question. When you say thrust your hips do you mean you should turn your hips or just thrust you entire lower body forward?

"Haha. Too bad."

-Bruce Lee

I am bad at foot jabbing. How can you footjab so that you don't lose your balance and still push your opponent away a lot?

practice on a heavy bag...

get the bag started and practice changing feet and keeping hte bag so it never goes back towards you...

basically once you kick it you never let it swing back on its axis towards you, it takes speed, and balance to keep this going.

if you do it often you will develop alot better skill and wont have as many problems

Thanks. I think you're right. I'm trying this out on my training bag right now and my balance is a lot better. I just have one question. When you say thrust your hips do you mean you should turn your hips or just thrust you entire lower body forward?

You can't really turn your hips cause you're doing a straight kick, but just as you turn your hips for a round kick, you have to thrust them forward for a proper foot jab. It's hard to explain in words, but I think you have the basic idea when you say "thrust your entire lower body forward." Once you've got the techinique down, that drill mentioned by LB is a really good one. I do the same thing he's talking about. It will build up your endurance really well too. :)

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

Thanks for all the help. I'm finally getting a feel for this. We don't set up the swinging heavy bag a lot so I guess I'll just have to use the standing one.

"Haha. Too bad."

-Bruce Lee