• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What to do when you're fighting a Jiu-Jitsu fighter?

Hi, I do Muay Thai, but I really like Jiu-Jitsu from the bit that I've done in class and from what I've seen of my classmates who do Jiu-Jitsu. I'm thinking about starting Jiu-Jitsu (it's at the same school where I take Muay Thai), and I would like some info on what to expect when I start Jiu-Jitsu.

Also, at our school, we have done "fights" between a grappler and a striker to see their strengths and weaknesses, etc. and it's been really fun (but the strikers arn't allowed to actually punch their opponent hard...). Maybe all you Jiu-Jitsu people could give a "striker" like me some advice on how to beat you (no, seriously). I just want to know some effective things to do when a striker is pitted against a grappler. By the way, the grappler I was fighting was always sort of like bear hugging me and trying to take me to the ground. What do I do?

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the grappler I was fighting was always sort of like bear hugging me and trying to take me to the ground. What do I do?

Don't let him bear hug you. ;)

As to what you can do if he does succeed in bearhugging you, elbows to the shoulders, neck, and side of the face help a bit. Some tearing techniques across the face also works. Knowing how defend against a bear hug is essential, as the intent is to cause your spine to bend backwards, thus removing your ability to resist a takedown.

All in all, the striker who doesn't know how to grapple is at a serious disadvantage against a grappler. Learn how to grapple, and then you'll have a better chance of extricating yourself from their advantage.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

without being allowed to punch your opponent you are limited..

tell them the next time you fight that since you cant punch they are not allowed to use thier fingers.

then it should be closer to equal

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it next time

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Watch mirco filipovic "cro cop" during his pride fc fights he is ussualy able to prevent people from taking him to the ground and when he does go down he is really good at getting back to his feet.

one good way to prevent someone from taking you to the ground is too grab hold of the coller of the shirt or gi when they go to grab you and strike them with your oposite hand, if your strong and you got good punches you can keep the at a distance why still being able to land some good strikes.

Pray! :angel:

Just kidding, but you have to avoid him getting his hands on you. Learn to keep distance and to avoid any techniques where you can lose your balance or have it taken from you quickly (ie roundhouse kick to the head or an overextended punch). If he does shoot, learn to sprawl, use your elbows and forearms and deflect his attempts. The best advice is to do as WW said and learn some basic grappling and counters.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

try to throw fast punches so he can't grab you (don't kick) if he comes in to grab you try doing either a downward outward wedge block or an upward outward wedge block depending on where his hand are coming at you

I've noticed many, but not all, have difficulty grabbing a strike that is performed quickly and correctly. If he closes in, I've noticed it to be effective if you use small weapons against sensitive targets (like the thumb in the sides of the ribs, neck, etc.). Fortunately, all my teachers have done an excellent job integrating striking and grappling (as befits traditional Okinawan karate, which is heavy on grappling), although I have just now began to take jujitsu on the side (the nearest dojo in my style is over an hour away, so I will probably only be able to make it there once a week or so and I'm not finding other competent karate dojos...).

These aren't majic bullets, but will help you to get a quick release if necessary. Of course some jujitsu guys I train with consider this cheating...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/