• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Style???????

joedude

For a while me and my mom have been looking at karate places. Some places she has been turning down, because of the spiritual part. I was just wondering if there is a style of karate that focuses on self-defence, with spirituality at the minimum.

Thanks!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It often depends upon the instructor and their affiliated association. Some instructors incorporate 'internal' aspects into their training and some don't.

Is it specifically karate that you and your mum are interested in? If you'd consider any martial art (or, at least, any striking-based martial art) then check out other MA schools in your area. There may be martial arts clubs that emphasise self-defence training and not internal/mental training.

The best thing to do would be to go to the various martial arts schools in your area and have a couple of trial lessons with them all. Then you'll be able to make a comparison and decide which is the right place for you.

Good luck with your search! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i hate that spiritual *... i want to learn to fight, you know?

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

For many dojos the spiritual side is reduced a lot. In my club for instance we don't meditate (mokuso) neither do we recite dojo and ninju kun (the limited time). So we just get there and train. Still we are told countlessly we are not supposed to pick fights and similar stuff. Religion has got nothing to MA (or shouldn't) though many ceremonies look alike :D

Hang on a minute....meditation is not "religion" nor do I think of it as spiritual. I think of religion as a belief system. Meditation is not about faith it's about emptying the mind. You don't have to believe in something religious to meditate, in fact it would be a distraction. Meditation is nothing special, it's just practice and training like the rest of the martial arts. I do a brief meditation with my junior classes so I don't send them home bouncing off the walls. Just a quiet breathing exercise. It also teaches them to concentrate, no tooth fairies or father christmases, just practice.

yea- some religions incorperate meditation, but it in itself is not a religion, and doesnt necessarily have anything to do with one.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I don't know about other MAs but I've seen a lot of Muay Thai stuff and most schools keep the "internal" stuff to a practical minimum (like relax, breathe, respect...). (But if you go to Thailand they do do some Buddhist ritual before fights)

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

The "spiritual" aspects some people talk about are nothing more than "mental" aspects. As a Western society we have very little understanding, or patience, for things that are not tangible. We won't believe it unless we see it.

However, if we think that our bodies are not tied to our minds in a HUGE way, we're kidding ourselves. Meditation, focus, concentration, prayer, breathing exercises, chants, etc, etc...the list goes on, they are all intended to bring untity with the mind and the body and the spirit. We're not just physical beings.

You can be spiritual without being religious. And even scarier, you can be religious without being spiritual (that's worse!). Anyway, I find that the mental aspect of my karate training is just as important as the physical aspect. If I can't control my mind, I'll never be able to control my body. I know that sounds cliche, but it's still true.

My thoughts....not yours...

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

MA in general, at least in my mind, are for advancing the body, expanding the mind, and understanding the spirit... not the spirit that goes to heaven or hell, but the driving life-forces that makes you a living being

i myself have quite a few huge confilicts with organized religion and try to avoid it at all costs, MA for me has been the outlet for that which i could not express in any other religion, belief in myself, ability to be my own lord and saviour...

mediataions are simply a way of connectiong the triangle and of exploring your capabilities as a complete human being

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...