• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

injuries galore!

aefibird

Ever had one of those training sessions where the blood is flying thiack and fast?

Well, we had one last night at my karate club. It seemed like every person there got some form of injury.

We were doing a freestyle fighting session for the adults - any technique allowed, except groin and eye strikes. Padding optional - it was up to the fighter as to what they wanted to wear.

The first two guys up, one slipped on the mats going for a takedown and broke his collar bone. During the takedown he (somehow) managed to bust his partners nose with his elbow. First lot of blood about!

The second match was just as bloody - one split lip and one broken nose.

The other matches all seemed to have some form of injury in them, as well as the usual bumps and bruises.

Even the kids didn't escape. They did point sparring and one kid managed to break his big toe on another kids elbow, whilst another injury happened when a girl accidentally kicked a lad in the groin. He was so mad with her that he poked her in the eye! We had to take him aside and have a little chat with him about what not to do in the dojo...

It was a funny sight to see after training had finished - everyone clutching a different bit of themselves in agony.

I didn't manage to escape unscathed either, and I was only refereeing! :lol: My injury wasn't karate related, though; I trapped my hand in the changing room door. :roll:

We seem to have had a relatively long period without many serious injuries at my dojo, then suddenly we get enough in one night to keep the hospital staff occupied for hours. Funny how things sometimes turn out.

Edited by aefibird

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh heh. after almost 11 relatively injury free years in the martial arts, i got dropped on my head and hurt my neck (my fault, i, in theorey, should have rolled over it. have to practice my falling, i guess). then i hurt my knee doing low spins, getting some sort of whiplash in it or something or other. then, while sparring 3 other people, i got a side kick to the spine and my back's been aching for awhile. all in the same week! gah.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

My sensai is so scared about people suing him. That he makes sure no kids do any full contact and is always reminding us not to touch when we punch and kick. However in an adult class he broke one guys rib by doing a reverse kick. Whats funny was that he thought the guy was just being a wimp until he had to go to the hospital :D

Hard training, hard sparring is all good, but man the injuries.....well it's bound to happen, but it can sure put a damper, not to mention delays in your training :(

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

*Karate newbie looks on in horror*

:o

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

..what?

you mean you don't get injuries every lesson?

blood was a regular occurance at my wing chun.

i guess it's part of how the style works;

y'know, sometimes you just walk forward to gain position and somehow elbow seems to meet face...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Shinbone: Cracked, couple of times.

Toes: Broken, several times.

Fingers: See above.

Ribs: Broken, several times.

Nose: Been blown to a bloody mess countless of times.

Cuts, bruises, scratches, black eyes: Countless of times.

Muscle pulls, muscle ruptures etc.: Several times every year.

Knockouts: A few.

And it's not so hard core training at all. Just high intensity, but not "gung ho" or "no brains" -thing.

Those things happen. They're part of the game.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

well, it's not as though i don't get injured. bruises and cuts and what not happen all the time. just not generally anything really lasting.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

It was a funny sight to see after training had finished - everyone clutching a different bit of themselves in agony.

:o I like your sense of humor!!! :lol:

Yes, I just did a weapons disarm class where, by the end of it all, me and my partner were both bleeding quite a bit. I had on my good ghi, too! Of course, the day before I was wearing my old plain ghi and nothing happened. But it washed out. I just hope neither of us gave the other some form of incureable deadly new virus or something. :dodgy:

Then, someone asked about a disarm from a typical hold, where the gun is at your head and he has your back pulled tight to his chest. I really tried to smash the gun back and down, instead of into his face. Really, I swear I did! :( But he was a good sport about it. Besides, I had his gun- what else could he do? :roll:

Ahh, it's all in fun! :D

Edit: just reread that. I should probably point out that I was not the instructor, but there was a period afterwards that we all sort of shared our experience and ideas. I showed them mine for that particular situation, and everyone liked it (except maybe my partner- never got a real commitment from him :o :dodgy: :roll: ).

Freedom isn't free!

*Karate newbie looks on in horror*

:o

Erin,

Were you not told the secret to Karate expertise is a blood sacrafice to the Karate Gods!!! :brow: :brow: :brow:

When I hear that children's song..

Head and shoulders

Knees and toes

knees and toes

head and shoulders

knees and toes

it has an entirely new meaning to me.... :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.