• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm turning into a Martial Arts Jerk! Please help me stop!

U know those morons who go around boasting how their style is the best and how they can kick everybodys butt. I think I'm becoming that guy :-? I've started at a new school as a rookie again and I want to jump right in and start the advanced stuff, but obviously I have to learn the techniques first. I keep assesing the other students as opponents and my big mouth opens and I say something stupid. I know it's wrong but these idiotic things keep popping out without concious thought. Also I keep correcting peoples technique automatically, those of u whove taught classes know what I mean. :x I fear that the instructors will see this as disrespectful and while my mind says shut up, my mouth keeps going. The self confidence that allowed me to get into the ring and fight bigger and better guys has turned into something ugly and I need to stop, but how :( Anyone been in this situation? How do u change :o

Donkey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hopefully, you went to the new school with the intentions to learn. As such, you need to "empty your cup" and open your mind to their way of doing things and your role as a student.

Of course, don't forget your past experience and education. But, if this school is not doing things the way you wish to practice, you need to move on to somewhere else. Otherwise, both you, the instructor(s), and other student feel tension while trying to learn. That doesn't help either you or their school.

R. McLain

Maybe u've simply chosen the wrong school, and if u were happy and compitent in ur other school why did u move?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I used to be a green belt (6th gup) in tae kwon do, and now I'm back to white belt in karate. I believe (although I don't know for sure) you're more advanced than that, so the leap might be greater for you, and I'm not sure how much anything I say can help. But I'll do my best. :wink:

Maybe you just aren't having the right attitude about being a rookie again. I don't know what rank you are, but for now I'll assume you're at a higher rank in your arts than I was at TKD. Maybe it's harder for a higher rank to view starting over as a good thing, but I think you should try!

When I joined karate almost a month ago, my mom asked me if I would get to keep my rank from TKD, or if I had to start over from white. I said I was starting over from white. Of course, the karate school would have made me start from white anyway, but even if given the choice, I think I would start fresh.

I find it kind of refreshing to be a white belt. You get to start over with a clean slate and you're completely open to letting your instructors mold you and show you the way to do things properly.

Are you starting in a new art or just a new school? I think everything I'm saying applies more if you're starting in a completely new art. Look at starting over as a good thing! Besides, the instructors will be able to see your skill level. For example, I think my kicks and punches are slightly better than the average beginner in karate due to my past (albeit limited) TKD experience, and I think it might show a little. Once or twice my instructors have let me learn a technique that maybe they wouldn't normally show someone in their first couple weeks, but they think I'll be able to handle it well enough. I think the same could happen for you.

Of course, it can also work the other way too. I was doing a cat stance the other night, and an instructor I hadn't had before (and therefore didn't know I used to do TKD) commented, "Have you done another style before?" I said yes, I'd done tae kwon do, and he said "OK, yeah, I can see it, your cat stance looks more like a tae kwon do back stance." :lol: So that's something I have to work on.

Well, I don't know if everything I wrote makes complete sense, I'm just sort of saying stuff as it occurs to me. Hopefully some of it is applicable for you. ^_^ I guess the point is being a "newbie" can be a good thing! :)

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

You need to be humiliated... and I don't mean this in a bad way.

Seriously just let go of your ego. Step back, ask yourself why you need to have this ego.

Ya i have to agree... you really are going to need to be humbled to change your attitude.

If there is noone there that can humble you... meaning the instructor or someone you are probably going to rapidly lose respect and interest and end up leaving for elsewhere.

I personally came from a fighting background before i entered the martial arts, and the only reason i was able to go to my school and be interested and respectful at the time i started was because I saw what they did and how they did it and was impressed.

If you can find one thing that impresses you then you will have a chance, if not i fear you are already one foot out the door.

I hope it works for you

Agreed, agreed dijita and luckyKB. Humility was exactly what I had in mind too. In order to appreciate the idea of starting clean, you have to humble yourself.

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

With all that has been said, let your past experiences guide you. Focus on your goals with your new school. Let others at the school find their way. Always remember no one likes a "know-it-all", especially if your seen as an outsider, and especially if you come off the wrong way whether you meant it or not :o :dodgy: :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

"Step away from the mouth, slowly put the attitude down". :lol:

At least you recognize what you are doing so that you have a chance to stop before you get totally annoying and get spoken to.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.