regarding "99% of fights end on the ground" theory

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing to remember is, learn ground work if you want to. If nto make sure that your stand up is excellent.

80% of fights may end up on the ground, but 100% start standing up. And according to Geoff Tompson (Self Defence Guru/former door man and MA expert) most fights last 3 seconds. Not alot of time for ground work there. :)

i' have been in some situations where i needed to use knee-on- stomach position and cross side in real fights and people have tackled me in real fights, where i had to depend on my jj skills and other times i had to use my striking and throwing skills to defeat my opponent.

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

Regarding '90% of fights go to the ground', the statistics were taken from arrests made by police officers.

I think it is very misleading, but an effective marketing slogan.

I do believe however, that affter the pre-fight stage and the first strike has been thrown, the fight is likely to go to the ground. Naturally, I'm biased and would like to think that I'm not wasting my time training in grappling. :D

You NEVER want to go to the ground if you can avoid it, but grappling will serve you well in preventing a fight going to the ground, or if it does, you'll know how to reverse a position and get back onto your feet quickly.

The natural reaction for anybody fighting is to grapple. I remember this from my early years. Throw a couple of wild punches, then grapple. You know, your basic ground and pound. Those were like Middle School stuff though.

Last guy that fought me, ended up in the hospital. He was dumb, he snuck up behind me and instead of just tackling me from behind he tried to throw punches. Stupid, cause you always have a milisecond to react to that stuff. This is also, why I am a firm believer in my art. We train in these strange positions, non fighting positions, and have another student come at us from awkward angles, and were supposed to hit them first before they even get close to us.

We do learn "ground fighting" not necessarily grappling. One of our Monkey forms is an emmidiate take down, with you staying down untill the other guy isn't moving anymore. But I dunno, last time I was on the ground was when this guy knocked the snot outta me back when I was a freshman and he tried kicking me while standing up I just grabbed his leg and took him to the ground.

I own you.

actually i was in a fight this past weekend

the guy (at least 200lbs) threw me to the floor than continued to pass my guard, i didn't let him , i punched him a few times and then when he was goin for the ankle lock , he missed a step in the technique that prevents me from getting up, anyways i got up and kicked him in the face a few times ,

okay i understand ur side of the argument and it isn;t necessary to learn how to grapple, but it is necessary to learn how to deal with a grappler

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

Angus,

I feel the need to interject. Now, Rickson is in fact a masterfully skilled martial artist. He is amazing. I have rolled with him. He let me choose the way I lost in ten seconds. I said kimura from guard. He said right or left arm. I chose left and guess what? He did it in 10 seconds. That being said, a large part of the Gracie marketing scheme was to claim to have "invented" a better jiu-jitsu. Nonsense!! In all the early magazines, the Gracies claimed to undefeated. Then in the same magazines, they would talk about how Kimura damn near killed Helio. Rickson and the family may claim that he is unbeaten. Come on now. Rickson is the best in the family, and they are great fighters, and usually good people. But I know for a FACT that all that we hear of the Gracies is not true. Remember in Gracies in Action 1? Remember when they showed Rickson pounding on Hugo Duarte on the beach? They didnt conveniently show that when Hugo mounted Rickson, his jj buddies tossed Hugo off. Point is that you shouldnt believe all the stuff that people say.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

kenpo4life, the gracies deserve more respect than that, they have changed the face of the martial arts as we know it, no fighter is perfect and rickson is not the best in the family, they are all good, just a few better than others, and what event are u talking about on the beach with hugo duarte?

"ChangWuJi"

Buhaaaahaaaaa I can barely even bring myself to make a serious reply to your post, oh dear someones been watching to much enter the dragon and reading to many comic books.

There isn't any mystical energy or secret shaolin techniques, the internal arts do teach in a different way focusing on alignment/body positioning and power generation/footwork/off balancing the opponent which is truly amazing. Its down to the person not the art but for damn sure there ain't nobody whos undefeatable.

pete,

The superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Crosstraining in bjj/silat/muaythai/jkd/JJJ/kickboxing