regarding "99% of fights end on the ground" theory

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before, but the majority of fights start standing up. So it is the best place to start.

Crosstraining is not a bad idea if your art does not have a ground component; however, many arts do have a ground component to them.

As for NHB events, fun to watch if they don't have the ground hugging marathon.

Realistically you are vulnarable on the ground plain and simple. Fight outside a bar there may be other attackers, broken glass on the ground, or the ground itself may be condusive to injury. I'm basically saying it's the last place I'd want to be. If a weapon such as a knife is involved, I guaratee you I wouldn't want to be grappling on the ground...

....being a woman it was most important in my self defense training to be able to fight as chances are I would be thrown to the ground and then... possibly have the attacker on top of me... (in the case of a possible rape situation). I don't care what type of MA I am skilled at .. plain and simple I will use whatever defense skill that I know ( chance are many TKD students do not know how to escape holds or apply pressure points so it is in their best interests to crosstrain. I have learned a bit of Aikido ...just enough to feel I can protect myself together with my tkd skills and my .... loud voice HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I never stated that ground fighting is ineffective I just claimed that 99% of trained martial art fights do not end on ground unless the person is beaten to a pulp there, or finished there.

Also there is no superior system because, it is the fighter that proves capable.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level."

Well, it sure sounded like u were implying that ground fighting was a waste of time and only effective in the UFC... That's how it sounded to me dude, i dunno what other people thought.

I still don't know where u got 99% of fights end up onthe ground. I would have said more like 40-60...

Also, i agree and disagree on the issue of no superior style. There are obviously superior techniques, but now i am once again undecided on the issue of superior style...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Hey Angus, think of it this way..

I want to transport 1 tonne of tomatoes or something to QLD, from NSW. What am I gonna use ? A little Excel, Impreza, Commodore, or Truck ? Obviously I am going to use the truck. I don't see styles any different, and a person needs to be careful when selecting a style to train in.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

::edit:: Edited by Bon