• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

regarding "99% of fights end on the ground" theory

why do most fights go to the ground?

IMO, most people are going to throw a punch or two then move in to grab their opponent. when your "average" two people grab each other in a fight they dont knee or elbow. instead they usually try to take their opponent to the ground.

thats just from my experience and is only a suggestion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when your "average" two people grab each other in a fight they dont knee or elbow. instead they usually try to take their opponent to the ground..

Sure. Now when one of these "average" people attacks a guy proficient in standup martial arts (standup meaning, can block, kick, punch, knee, elbow, escape and reverse standing grabs, take and use locks, holds, throws, breaks and chokes), how come some people are so sure the martial artist will not be able to resist the "Average Joe" from taking the fight to the ground, and will certainly lose the fight?

This debate could go on forever. My opinion is just to train in what you train in and cut out all the nonsense of what some others claim or say. Listen to them and their opinions but you are you and you train how you train. Any fight can go to the ground, that is true, it is also true you can knockout someone with one strike which would make the fight not go the ground. So it is all in how you train or how your trained. If your trained to defend against something going to the ground then it is likely you have a better ability for it not to. So the training and each individual is what you have to take into account.

I personally will take all the training I get, whether it be grappling, or striking I don't care. I'm in it to train, not to fight.

how come some people are so sure the martial artist will not be able to resist the "Average Joe" from taking the fight to the ground, and will certainly lose the fight?

Non-martial Artis sometimes say things because they fell threatened in some way. . I just ignore it.

As I asked earlier (in this thread or some other, don't remember), what exactly does constitute a fight going to the ground? If I punch a guy and he falls, did the fight go to the ground (he did for sure, but the fight...?)?

I have had some "encounters" on my line of work (security, I work both as a guard and as a body guard. Previously I have been 11 months as an MP.) and I have had one fight that I considered a "ground fight". Usually the fight result was decided while standing up. Either the other guy fell from a hit (I have only succeeded in this twice with a shin roundhouse kick to just-above-knee) or usually I took him down with a lock/hold i.e. I remained standing and he went down. All these "encounters" had the common denominator: the other guy went down, but I did not. So "in my experience 1% of fights go to the ground" if I only count the fight where we continued wrestling on ground, but if it counts that one of us went down, then "in my experience 99% of fights go to the ground". But of course, some people here say my statistics are screwed, because half of my "encounters" involved weapons (the least I have is a baton, and I use it when the "customer" uses something; a drug needle is the most common weapon I have had the "pleasure" of facing).

I would say that fights between BJJ students usually go to the ground, fights between TKD students usually don't go to the ground and if a BJJ student fights a TKD student, it may go to the ground

Well, Evan somebody how is not trained in ground fighting our has no intent to going to the ground. In a real fight not a organized fight, when 2 body’s are moving at each other at 150mph trying to overkill each other they clash and end up grappling. Because in real fight people move forward and attack each other simultaneously. Sometimes people just trip and fall :lol: . But it is definitely a possibility to KO somebody with one punch; it happens and is something everybody should try for. I just haven’t seen it done with somebody fighting back. It almost always ends up in grappling range. And thanks to tournaments like the UFC our Pride, The general Joe blow not a martial Artist knows now that swiping your opponent’s legs and taking him to the ground and mounting him is very effective.

This is just my opinion.... :karate:

Non-martial Artis sometimes say things because they fell threatened in some way. . I just ignore it.

I don't hear that stuff from Non-martial artists, I hear it from those martial artists who study arts that focus on groundfighting.

you should have good anti grappling skills and if a good grappler takes you down that is more advanced than you your f******

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

Usually, if the grappler is way more experienced on the mat, you're better of standup fighting with him anyday. Sure, he can accomplish a takedown and then you'd better know some good moves, but if you only have one year of groundwork and he has twenty years, your best bet is to get him out when still standing.

""you should have good anti grappling skills and if a good grappler takes you down that is more advanced than you your f******"" (Jujitsufighter)

I loved that fight between sakuraba and silva, shame there was sucha massive weight difference. Silva's stand up is amazing.

pete,

The superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Crosstraining in bjj/silat/muaythai/jkd/JJJ/kickboxing