• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do people classify kajukenbo as kenpo and/or karate?

Crex

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

because they see Kajukenbo students fighting in open karate tournaments all the time, and you dont normally see or hear of any Kajukenbo students taking place in any no holds barred contests....

At least that has been my experience..

The only place i have ever seen anyone competing that use Kajukenbo has been the open karate tournaments where they used primarily the karate side of their training.

I havent even seen any boxers claiming to be Kajukenboists..../shrug

honest answer from me..

I know what they supposedly train in... i have never been to one of their schools, but i have never seen one person from that style competing elsewhere in all my experience.

• 4 months later...
From what I understand, it's a style based on karate, jujitsu/judo, kenpo, and boxing. Why then do some people refer to it as being simply synonymous with kenpo and/or karate? :-?

Our style, conceptualized and formalized by Adriano and Joseph Emperado in the Palama Settlement of territorial Hawaii, has a very distinct kenpo lineage. Sijo Emperado, the founder of Kajukenbo, trained under William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow. Professor Chow was a renowned Kenpo man. Other co-founders including Joe Holck (Kodenkan Danzan Ryu JiuJitsu), Peter Y.Y. Choo (Tang Soo Do & Western Boxing), Frank Ordonez (Sei Keino Ryu Judo) and Clarence Chang ("Ch'uan Fa").

It's synomous with Kenpo in much the same way that Tom Mitose, son of Kenpo pioneer James Mitose, is synonomous with Kajukenbo. Go to the yearly Kajukenbo tournament in Las Vegas and you'll witness the Mitose school in all of its glory.

As bitterly rival as some factions can be, the two are forever intertwined.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

OK, from Chow (Kara-Ho Kempo) we get Parker (Parker Kenpo) and Emperado (Kajukenbo). The lineage from the Emperado side continues with Gascon, Pesare, Cerio, Villari (and many others) most of whom developed sub-systems of Kajukenbo and called them kempo/kenpo. In the Kajukenbo line the kenpo has a strong influence as the styles above and below it always refer back to it in the names of their systems.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

backfist I totally agree with your post. The reason for it is "It's all in the name".

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• 1 month later...

Traditional Kenpo and traditional karate are extremely different from Kajukenbo. Many modern style Kenpo trace their roots back to Kajukenbo and therefore have many similarities.

The BO in KajukenBO stood for Chinese BOxing (Kung Fu)

Kajukenbo was based on street fighting (and was tested on the street), not tournament fighting and incorporates eye gouges, throat strikes, groin shots, elbow breaks, knee breaks, etc.

Kajukenbo was not my only art. In my lifetime, I have trained in over 10 different schools and yet Kajukenbo is what really grabbed me as the art that I wanted to do. I plan to continue training in Kajukenbo untill the day that I am no longer able to do so.

What works works

Why do they call Kempo Karate?

Why do they call Kick Boxing Karate?

Why do they call Tae Kwon Do Karate?

Why do they call Kung Fu Karate?

Why, why, why...? :)

Karate is Karate, Kempo is Kempo, etc...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

because

because

because,

kara, empty + te, hand: karate = empty hand.

all the styles you listed are based on empty hand self defense, hence "karate".

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous