• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Street-fighter excuse...

Thanks for all the great feedback gang! I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to read my rant, and that most of you agreed with it!

Not that having you agree with me was my goal though. ;)

Delta1, I think you summed it up nicely. The combative aspect of martial arts can be very important, and I'm certainly not suggesting that the combative aspects be removed. I was mainly trying to examine the reasons we first decide to study martial arts, and the traits by which we measure the quality of those arts. I read so many posts (we all have) about "which martial art is best" and it seems like the ability to fight is one of the most often (if not THE most often) measures used to qualify a martial art's "bestness".

At any rate, I really liked what you said about being open to both aspects of the arts, both the mental and the combative. There are millions of benefits to martial art training; I could never list them all let alone think of them all.

Will martial arts make you a better "street fighter"? Certainly; some more than others. But should that be the main reason for continuing to train in the martial arts? That's up to each individual to answer for themselves.

I don't need to be a street fighter. But I love being a martial artist.

Thanks again everyone! Keep training and have fun!

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are a few instances that seem to have been missed. Training for a career that has danger ingrained in it, such as law enforcement, one needs to train for that street mentality and raw edge that you need in order to be effective in combat. I have been in numerous fights, both in the ring and street, with the majority of them being the street variety, and without a doubt can say that martial arts can make you a better street fighter, and is the probably the main reason I continue to train.

Sure I could say that the physical fitness benifits are there, but I could get that from a Tae-Bo class. I am a Correctional Officer and have recently turned thirty. The average age of offenders remains young while I continue to age, and with the gang mentality that we now dealing with offenders take more risks and amount of staff assaults are on the rise, so I belive that I need every advantage nessicary when it comes to self defense situations. I'm not a big guy 5'9", 175lbs and the majority of inmates are physically larger than me, so an equalizer is needed. Considering that staff are unarmed in Canada, one needs to be ready for just about anything.

I choose the stlyes I train in based on effectiveness in down and dirty street fighting situations, determined on a want and need basis. I wanted to make sure that when situations came to a head, I was prepared. I wasn't looking for tradition or a philosophy(sp?) because I did'nt need it. I was simply seeking ways to ensure that I come home to my family at the end of the day.

Nations spend billions of dollars a year on an armed force to be ready in case some isolated event might happen. I don't see what is wrong with individuals doing the same.

Very very intelligent post although I have to disagree with some things... For example, you said training 4-6 years is not worth it for ONE fight... But what if that fight decided if you kept living or died, or if you could decide if your mother/brother/sister/father/whatever could get hurt? I think you will open you eyes wider once some muggler comes up to you and tries to steal from an old lady next to you, or tried to steal from your mom, or yourself, even.

But it is also very true on the point that I see many people come and go in my karate class, because they want to 'kick some butt'. People like that dont usually last more than 1 or 2 belts, or many GET like that once they reach a higher level like brown belt.

Great post.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Just for the sake of argument... :brow:

If a person is concerned that at some point in their life there could be a situation where they need to fight, why take martial arts when you could just get a gun or pepper spray? It would be cheaper and easier.

Actually, I don't really need that argument, because I already said that self defense was an exception. It was my understanding that this post was more directed at the people who take martial arts so they can "kick some butt."

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

Just wanted to say that you actually speak for many people who feel the same way, but are not quite sure how to express themselves.

I take MA for four basic reasons:

1. Self/family protection (although outside of work I have never been in a street fight in my adult life)

2. Fitness

3. The social part of it

4. I enjoy traditions (MA history, the katas/forms, etc)

Anyway great post.

why take martial arts when you could just get a gun or pepper spray? It would be cheaper and easier.

Get a dummy gun or a can of inert training pepper spray. Put it where you would normally carry it. Have a friend charge you with the intent of hurting, but not dammaging you. Have him keep doing this, but backing up a few feet each time. Heck, let him start at ten feet (about 9 ft farther out than the average attack is launched from) and try to deploy and use your weapon. You know it is comeing, but you can't move until he does. Then, just fer yucks, try it where he doesn't move until you do. Now, come back here and answer your own question for us, and I'll share with you some other reasons for taking a martial art as a self defense method.

And I'll say again, as many times as necessary, any weapon you carry- especially firearms- should be aproached and trained as a martial art. It's no cheaper, no easier, and no more effective than how you train it.

Freedom isn't free!

Some great responses! Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

I think we are all coming to one true conclusion:

A person's reasons for taking a martial art, any martial art, should be determined by THAT person, before they go looking for a martial art.

For someone in police enforcement or any related career, their goals as far as martial arts are concerned are already established and therefore it should be fairly easy for them to determine which martial art would suit them best.

That's just one of thousands of examples. Everyone has their own reasons for taking a martial art. And although many, many people start taking it because they want to "kick butt", my theory is that the majority of those people (not all) will eventually realize that "kicking butt" is not why they STAY in martial arts, and more importantly, may not have been that necessary from the start.

A 28 year old who says to themselves "I need to know how to defend myself" as the reason for taking martial arts should first ask themselves "How have I managed to live for 28 years without needing that knowledge?"

Obviously there are going to be situations where people need to know how to defend themselves or others. I'm not trying to say that those situations don't exist. But for the most part, I think many of us will, fortunately, never have to be in a situation like that. The news tells us of horrible stuff everyday; attacks, muggings, rape, murder, theft, etc....the list is endless. However, if there were a news program that only focused on good stuff, I know they would have a lot more content. Sadly, most of the TV watching world finds bad news more entertaining.

But that's a whole other discussion...

Again, thanks for all your feedback.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."