• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I recently got to see some really experienced grapplers comparing BJJ and Sambo, as well as a couple of other systems. All of them also were strikers in variouse systems. The first thing I learned is that you guys argue more with yourselves than with us strikers! :P But they had some good points. All stylists advised me to forget the flash submissions and focus on basics, so they didn't argue about everything. Any how, it seemed to me that the biggest differences weren't so much in their base moves as in their philosophies and some of the details of their applications.

The sambo guys, and some of the others like Pancration and JKD, were more in to striking in their transitions, as well as just setting up a hold as a base to strike from. They also struck more in their counters. The BJJ guys seemed to be more patient in their transitions, going more for position and control. They struck, but not as much. Sambo attacked the legs more, and also tended to stay more toward the legs in situations like being in guard. They got into an argument about this, as the BJJ guy liked to get his weight more over the opponents torsoe, while the Sambo guy pushed back so that he was out of range of his opponents strikes. They both passed guard effectively (from my inexperienced point of view).

Another good point one of them made (he does Sambo strictly as a combative art); I asked about rocks, glass, and debris on the ground. He said 'Of course it's there, learn to use it. Grind him into it. Would you rather be the grinder, or the one getting ground?' There goes another good misconception. :( But it pointed up another difference in philisophy/application. BJJ seemed more content to stay on the ground, while most of the others wanted to do max dammage and get back up as quickly as possible.

Just some observations I thought I'd throw at you guys for comment. I won't be offended if you tell me I'm wrong about any of them. In fact, I'd appreciate your input.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah i find them both to be very effective grappling systems. at the university i am going to in the fall theres a MA club that teaches those two styles(and muay thai too but thats not on this thread) that i believe fight professionally. i also think that they are both somewhat prominent styles in like the UFC and such...is that right?

you know, that is one awesome post. just a tiny little post- i think a lot of bjj guys are content to stay on the ground because they can end the fight there. i have no experience with sambo though, and id love to hear more about it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

brazilian jiujitsu? look it or the gracie's up on the internet. suuurely youve heard of it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli