• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I watched a 10 man kumite

What exactly are the rules of this contest? Do they go for points or are they looking to disable each other. In my experience, nobody is allowed to kick in the head in a points match. If the idea is to disable, then they'd better hope I don't join in next time. How do you arrange a fighting contest with rules at all, and expect it to make one more prepared for real fighting? I'm not cocky here, just testing my beliefs. :karate:

Why is martial arts so complex? The mind is complex, the body is complex, and these two things are not the same for any two martial artists. Like painting, techniques and styles can be taught, but to each martial artist, the art is their own and no one else's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30 fights in a row is normal if you've ever went to NBL Supergrands(very gigantic huge tournament for the world tittles and everything) and entered the continuos division

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

Well, it wasn't for a BB test, but for our belt test [i'm only yellow], we had to spar a 1 minute round with everyone else who was testing. [8 ppl I think this last time]. Now, we don't do major full-contact sparring, but it's not the "get a point and stop/restart" stuff either. And you ARE expected to hit, just no face-shots [you can hit the side or top of the head]. Groin shots are legal [Cup check! ].

It was pretty grueling. Actually, we did that first thing, and THEN we went through our forms and techniques. I guess it gave a good indication that you could still remember and perform everything even when you were exhausted.

It sucked, but it was great at the same time :)

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

Dang it!!! I want to start Kyokushin instead of going to college. Double drat...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

What exactly are the rules of this contest? Do they go for points or are they looking to disable each other. In my experience, nobody is allowed to kick in the head in a points match. If the idea is to disable, then they'd better hope I don't join in next time. How do you arrange a fighting contest with rules at all, and expect it to make one more prepared for real fighting? I'm not cocky here, just testing my beliefs. :karate:

The 10 man Kumite for your Shodan is not a contest. A person testing for their Shodan fights 10, 3 minute fights back to back with a fresh brown or black belt each fight. So essentially you are fighting for 30 minutes straight with a fresh fighter every 3 minutes. You fail the test if you lose the will to fight or can no longer fight. No safety equipment is worn.... except mouth guards are allowed I believe. To me its a test of spirit, will, dedication to train hard, and endurance more than a test of "how well you can fight."

Dijita, that is an awsome test ! While fighting these fresh fighters, do you try to knock them out ? or disable them so they can no longer continue ?

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Well typically the fresh fighters try to show some respect, so if the student testing isn't trying to knock the guys head off then the fresh fighter generally won't do so as well. However, the fresh fighters do try to go for really hard blows that may wind, hurt, or cause the other person to lose the will to fight. Again though, it boils down to respect, the fresh fighters aren't intentionally trying to break bones or cause some semi-permanent damage.

I'm sure it varies elsewhere, as well though.

Thanks Dijita, it is confusing to me because if the fresh fighters are trying to go for really hard blow that may wind,hurt, or cause the person testing to lose the will to fight then I would think the person testing would want to eleminate this fighter as quickly as possible (before three minutes), but then I need to watch this type of test in person to grasp a better understanding. Thanks again Dijita!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Basiclly, yes you are trying to end your fight in less than 3 minutes if you can. But no most people don't do it in such a way that it severely injures a person (ie: breaking arms, legs, etc.)