• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I watched a 10 man kumite

This weekand while I was at our Kyokushin summer camp, there were 10 1st Kyu students doing the final part for their Shodan testing (It's like an 8 month process). The final part of their testing was the 10 man Kumite (For each dan you have to fight 10 more).

All I can say is WOW! There was one person from our dojo testing as well. It was actually quiet emotional. These people fought so hard and a lot of them took sooo much pain. The one guy from our dojo almost got knocked out when he got kicked in the head. He stood back up though and kept fighting. I was actually almost in tears myself when the student in our dojo then had to fight our Sempai. It was just something that seemed very symbolic about it... student fighting teacher. I dunno if that makes sense, but it was very inspirational. Everyone completed their 10 man and received their belts.

It was a really great experience.

Edited by Dijita

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Awsome story, thanks for sharing Dijita !

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Question: I wasn't clear on this point. Are they fighting all 10 of these guys at the same time, or one after another? if it's one after the other, and the Sensei is last...heck, he's got it easy.

Back in the real old days on Okinawa (or so my sensei told me anyway), when a challenger walked into a dojo and challenged the head Master to a fight, the Master would accept, but the challenger would have to start fighting the lowerst student first...then the next, and so on until he reached the Master. By that point, the Master had seen his opponents movements and techniques and figured out a plan of attack/defense. Plus, the challenger was usually pretty dang tired by this point. As my sensei said, very few Masters ever lost a challenge match in the dojo.

*DISCLAIMER* I can't verify this is true, but made for an interesting story from Sensei at the time. I don't generally pass it on to my own students.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Its not easy... you're bagged... heck you're probably bagged after the first 3 fights. Then you're fighting fresh fighters every fight. You can see in the students eyes that this was no easy task. After getting kicked in the head hard enough to make you wobbly I'm sure it was very hard to focus after that point.

I'm assuming its quiet a painful and tireing ordeal... but I'm sure that once all is said and done you feel preety darn good about accomplishing it.

My sempai is doing 30 fights in October for his 3rd Dan. I wish so badly I could be there to watch. He's such a magnificent fighter.

I love this kind of fighting.

One of the things i love most in my pre fight preparation is when I work my sparring and I have fresh opponents coming in with different styles and strengths..... It is so exhilarating to change pace and take a different edge when you fight